• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

140mm vs 180mm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itachiii

Hey guys, I'm in a middle of a "crisis" here. I recieved my XSPC EX240 rad today and I've had some time to make a few measurements. I was originally intending to get another EX240 on the front of the case but this cannot happen, unless if, ofc, I go for slim fans who cant move air in the first place :/ Therefore, I have to replace the front rad. I was thinking about an RX120 at start but anything thicker than 35mm will just get precious space away from me to work with so I'm left with standar slim line rads so I was thinking of going 180 or 140. I will be squeezing every single drop of performance from my rig (24/7 use, won't be becnhing on a constant basis). What's the best option? I can't find any fans for the 180 and those that I find kinda suck anyway so is there a big difference between the 180mm and the 140mm? I mean you gain only 40mm of raddage.

Thx in advance!

Here are my thoughts, my issue isn't with a 180mm or 140mm radiator as much as the difficulty in finding fans with good static pressure to push or pull the air through. I will normally look for X * 120mm rads for myself due to lack of fan choices when one goes with something larger. What are you cooling with it, Cpu or Cpu and Gpu?

Here are my thoughts, my issue isn't with a 180mm or 140mm radiator as much as the difficulty in finding fans with good static pressure to push or pull the air through. I will normally look for X * 120mm rads for myself due to lack of fan choices when one goes with something larger. What are you cooling with it, Cpu or Cpu and Gpu?

Hey Mandrake thx for the reply. Well up to 140 I can get NB B12-Ps or Noctua iPPCs which have some pretty stellar static pressure. I will be cooling CPU & GPU on this loop and I want to push them as far as they can go for daily use. What do you think?

Nothing wrong with those fans so whats the planned total raddage for the loop? 2x 120 + 1 x 140?

Well just doing some guesstimates the 4690k Oced to say 4.6-4.7 you're probably looking at around 130w of heat. The 970 Oced lets say 200w so 330w total. I feel that with the 2 x 120 and an additional 1 x 140 or 1 x 180 you will be fine. The fan you linked to above would be great for the 180, the only issue I see might be space, the fan is 32mm wide.

Yea I know, I thought about it too. So, would be the difference in temps be different between the 140 and the 180?

Yea I know, I thought about it too. So, would be the difference in temps be different between the 140 and the 180?

Ok so I searched around a bit and I came up with a thought:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-coolstream-radiator-xtc-140.html

this one with a Noctua AF-A14 iPPC 2000 hooked on it would do the same job or even slightly better than the 180 right?
The Noctua fans are really good fans and it is tough to say what the difference would be between the 180 and 140 rad. I haven't been able to find any testing done on any of the rads you have mentioned to see what the heat dissipation is on them. Unfortunately, skinnee labs and martains liquid lab are no longer testing rads to see what kind of results you can expect. The best I could find was a swiftech mcr 320 which is 3 x 120 x 35 mm thick 14 FPI and it could dissipate about 400w with 1400 rpm fans in push/pull.

Ok so we pretty much have to do with 380 x35 in my situation so let's assume they can dissipate 420W? Still it's nearly 100 over the estimated heat the components would emit so I guess we are alright?

I do feel that is a correct statement, the amount of rad you have whether it be the 2 x 120 + the 140 or 180 should have no problem cooling the Cpu and Gpu oced, to a point. If you start modding the bios on the gpu and really pushing the limits you may not but that doesn't seem to be what your plans are.

Ye I don't have any plans like that, not at the moment. I'll be getting a slim line 140 since the ek xtc is 55mm thick :/

Yea so a little update. I finally figured out what to do, I will be going for the EX240 + EX140 and hooking some Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 2000s. They can deliver ~4.5 mmH2O static pressure which is plenty for a 32+36 FPI rads. Thx a lot for the help Mandrake :) See u around

Back