• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows or BIOS not recognizing full ram its driving me crazy.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liviahome

Registered
I bought an Gigabyte Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 and 2 sticks of ram Corsair vengeange 2x4 1600 8gb. Everything is instaled nicely in sticks 1/2, procesor runs fine (amd fx 4100) but windows says i have 6gbs or ram when i should have 8gb, not only that problem, windows says only 3.99gb are usable wich is stupid. Ive been in several forums and done full research, nothing on BIOS says anything about the ram, just some voltage configuratin and i dont know how to mess whit that, if anyone can help me il be gratefull.

My build for your information

Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
amd fx 4100
Corsair vengeance 8gb 1600
western digital caviar blue 500 gb
Gtx 750ti sc 2gb evga
PSU 400w Coolermaster
Case, unknown just some generic one

(My english isnt that great, i hope you get the point.

Are you on 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?

Edit: dangit, ninja'd by torin...

Next question, have you tried running with just one stick in and verifying each stick reports 4gb usable?

Also, trying running memtest. It is possible one of your sticks is bad.

Are you sure the memory is installed in the correct slots? Please refer to your manual for which slots for the ram.

I will do this next, will update in a couple of hours when i get home from work, thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, really sure i did it right, they are in this order from down to top: 1/3/2/4 and in the user manual said to install (if 2 sticks) in 1/2.

Actually, the way you list your slots is backwards according to the manual?

If you are looking at it top down, with the memory slots on the right, it is 4/2/3/1 going L to R. So your memory should be in the far right slot(1) and 2nd from the left(2). You have them in 4/3 which the last line states to use 1/2...

slots.jpg

EDIT: Your board is rev 4.1, right? I ask as there are a few different revs out there...

I explained myselft wrong, they are in the correct position according to the picture.

Next question, have you tried running with just one stick in and verifying each stick reports 4gb usable?

Also, trying running memtest. It is possible one of your sticks is bad.

I just tried it and when i try them one by one it shows the full 4gb and all usable, the problem shows when put both of them together, i tried to use the memtest, but ima noob at this and cant figure how to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

Any answer to the revision question?

This motherboard is revision 1.0

Sorry for the delay

Install cpu-z, and post screenshots of the memory tabs, so we can see what is going on.

Is the RAM at stock 1600MHz? QVL states:
Note: Only one DIMM per channel is supported for DDR3-1866MHz and higher speed as using an AM3+ CPU.

Which BIOS version does it have?

CPUZ MEMORY.png

and this is what it shows windows (sorry for spanish windows, i hope its not to hard to understand) 6GB bs.png

You're running single channel, you have the RAM in the wrong slots or a dead stick.
Go read your manual to see what slots it says, as it could vary by revision.

You're running single channel, you have the RAM in the wrong slots or a dead stick.

Well, i tried both sticks alone and both fully worked so its definetly not the sticks, the sticks are in the right slots acording to user manual, only thing left is the single channel stuff, hwo do i check it, how do i fix it?

Found it and yes, its running single channel wich may be the reason its not working right, what do i have to do to fix it? If its not much to ask.

Guys, i changed the scnd stick of place and now it recognize full 8gb, but im not sure if this is right, according to the user manual thats not the place to run dual channel memory. It will be ok if i leave it like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, all that counts is dual channel.
you really need to return the board for a new one.

Guys, i changed the scnd stick of place and now it recognize full 8gb, but im not sure if this is right, according to the user manual thats not the place to run dual channel memory. It will be ok if i leave it like that?
That depends... you didn't mention which slots they were in. :)

Post CPUz screenshot of the memory tab again. Is it in dual channel? If so, you are ok, if not, its single channel and it would appear you have a bad ram slot and I would RMA the board. Rev 4.1 states you may be able to use slots 3/4... but again not mention of slot # or anything so, its impossible to tell with the information given.

That depends... you didn't mention which slots they were in. :)

Post CPUz screenshot of the memory tab again. Is it in dual channel? If so, you are ok, if not, its single channel and it would appear you have a bad ram slot and I would RMA the board. Rev 4.1 states you may be able to use slots 3/4... but again not mention of slot # or anything so, its impossible to tell with the information given.

the sticks are in slots 1/3 but running pretty good i think, you tell me if somethings wrong pleaseeeee
memory.png

Back