• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Radeon HD 6670 Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnknownHero

I am having a problem for the past few days. I have a AMD Radeon 6670 HD graphic card. Over the past few days whenever I try to run any games the PC hangs, freezes and I am forced to restart the PC. I have tried to look for every possible solution related and I tried out everything. After consulting many support I found out that it may be a hardware problem. I was told to use an application to check that out and I was told that my graphic card fan is not rotating properly or as required and hence its overheating causing the problems so mentioned. I removed the graphic card and cleaned it, dusted it and still having the same problem. I am attaching a few screenshots of my graphic card details as follows. Can someone please help ? Thanking in advance

30jpd0m.jpg

Can you visually see the fan when the card is installed? If the fan isn't turning and is indeed burnt out that can certainly cause your GPU to overheat fairly quickly.

Can you visually see the fan when the card is installed? If the fan isn't turning and is indeed burnt out that can certainly cause your GPU to overheat fairly quickly.

Nope the fan is visually running. I opened the cabinet and started the pc. It spins but I am not able to play any high end graphics games. When I do that the pc hangs. I removed the Graphic card today, connected the monitor wire on the on-board port, and started the PC. I tried to even run some games in low graphics, it runs properly with no PC hang or restart problems.

n.jpg n2.jpg

First thing I would try is installing a new driver for the card. Uninstall the old one then use DDU ( display driver uninstaller) to "clean ' it up. Then install a new driver.
A couple other things to consider, is your system Overclocked? If it is then go back to defaults. Next how old and what power supply are you using?

First thing I would try is installing a new driver for the card. Uninstall the old one then use DDU ( display driver uninstaller) to "clean ' it up. Then install a new driver.
A couple other things to consider, is your system Overclocked? If it is then go back to defaults. Next how old and what power supply are you using?

Did the clean up on the driver. Installed a new one just yesterday. Still had the same result. Um...... Sorry to ask this but please explain in a few easy steps on how to "Go back to defaults". And do explain how that helps as well :p Power supply is Corsair vs650 I guess.

Defaults for the computer. If you haven't OC'd it then it's likely running at default. The way to set defaults is by going into bios and in most hitting the F5 key and then answer yes save and exit. Now the system is set to optimized defaults for the hardware you are using. How old is that PSU and can you tell me which driver you are using?

Almost 2 years. I bought the Graphic card together with it. Driver is AMD catalyst control center or something. AMD Driver downloaded from the site itself

OK, this still sounds to me like a bad driver or a heat issue. Try and older driver that doesn't have the omega driver with it. When is the last time you cleaned the insides of your computer.

I clean once a week. So for now I should download and install the old driver ? Can you pass on a link without that omega thingy that you mention ? And if its a heat issue what to do ?

Edit 1 :- http://filehippo.com/download_ati_catalyst_vista_64/history/ <-- Can you check and tell which one to download. I think the latest version is 14.12 which I recently downloaded and installed. Thats the one with the omega driver in it. So I should go for the previous one of it, I.E. AMD Catalyst Drivers 14.4 ?

Edit 2 :- Downloaded and older version of the driver. 13.4 version. Still having the same problem. GPU-Z doesnt show RPM of my fan

Last edited:
OK so you said you can see the fan spin on the card. How long does it go before it locks up and does the fan spin up so you can hear it ? If there is enough time try running something like unigine heaven in window mode with the GPUz sensor wind open and watch the temperatures. If it just goes straight up and locks up and you can't hear the fan then it's likley the fan or it's controller are done. You can get aftermarket coolers or try and rig up a new fan. Other than that....

OK so you said you can see the fan spin on the card. How long does it go before it locks up and does the fan spin up so you can hear it ? If there is enough time try running something like unigine heaven in window mode with the GPUz sensor wind open and watch the temperatures. If it just goes straight up and locks up and you can't hear the fan then it's likley the fan or it's controller are done. You can get aftermarket coolers or try and rig up a new fan. Other than that....

Its just as you said. I downloaded an old version of the driver and its working fine now. I dont have any problems playing games and my PC doesnt restart. I think it was something related to the "Omega" thingy. Can you please explain what and how its related ? Because I dont understand how does upgrading the driver software lead to such problems

Back