• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New game reccommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrCat

Hi folks,

It's been a while since I played anything new due to not having the system spec's. I'm just building a new PC now tho that should do it, based on an AMD FX8350, someone donated me a GeForce GTX460 graphics card I may upgrade soon but I gather it's ok.

I'm so far out of date I'm looking for some new game ideas. I used to play elite so am looking forward to the new one, but wondered if you could reccommend some stuff based on these ancient relics;

Thief 2, Monkey island :D, Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind ( I played oblivion a bit but thought morrowind far better somehow).

I also have a question on Civilization 5, I love(d) that game and wonder if it works on windows 7 and up and 64bit?
I read it was more cpu than gpu hungry and could never get it running really smooth, bigger maps became totally unplayable and would crash lots.
I read a new Civ game was coming out but not sure if it's out yet?

If you like the Elder Scrolls series game, maybe you should consider playing Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim, in my opinion, it's one of the most beautiful game out there right now but you need a better GPU and a good monitor to see all that eye candy that Skyrim offer :)
Elder Scrolls online is another great game too.
If you prefer F2P game than Hawken, Day z, World of Tanks, The lord of the ring online are some very good game too, the good thing about these game is: if you're a good player, you don't have to pay to win :)

Civ 5 absolutely works on win7x64.

The new Civ game (Beyond earth) came out about a year ago to middling reviews.

Agreed to recommend trying Skyrim, you will likely enjoy that.

Cheers! Thanks for suggestions so far. My monitor is a Iiyama E2407HDS... it's pretty old now but still a nice screen I think...? Would you upgrade that?

Cheers! Thanks for suggestions so far. My monitor is a Iiyama E2407HDS... it's pretty old now but still a nice screen I think...? Would you upgrade that?

I don't know the resolution of your monitor but you will need a 2560x 1600 monitor in order to see all the eye candy that newer game have.

I don't know the resolution of your monitor but you will need a 2560x1440 1600 monitor in order to see all the eye candy that newer game have.

(FTFY - switched to 1440 as the vast majority come at that resolution and not 2560x1600)

Although his monitor is a 1920x1080 screen, which is still just fine (the vast majority of screens people use these days run at that resolution). The GTX460 may have some trouble running with any real eye candy on at that resolution, just to be warned.

If you wanted a higher resolution display look for one of the resolution above, but you will almost certainly need to upgrade your video card rather significantly to be able to drive a game at that resolution.

Nice one :) Any good budget GPU advice to run my sort of games at 1920 x 1080? By budget I mean in the region of £100 give or take a bit...I'm quite keen on getting 2 cards and using crossfire or whatever the alternate is, can't remember off hand!

Is 2 cards using crossfire any better or worse than just spending double on one single card? Hmm I should probably post that seperately and I'm likely on the wrong board

I'll answer your question for you pretty easily:

Generally you are better off having one higher-end card than two low-mid range cards in SLI (nVidia) or Crossfire (AMD). The reason being is that not ever game has profiles setup for it to support it, there can sometimes be graphical issues with it (stuttering, pausing, crashes, graphical glitches), and you never get 100% scaling (twice the power with two cards). You wouldn't likely be able to find two cards for $50/ea that even support dual-card configuration. I'm unsure what you could pick up for only $100 though that would be a significant increase over a 460 (especially new). Maybe something used could give you an OK increase, something like a GTX 580 or maybe a 680 used can be found for that price. I regularly see 7950-7970 AMD cards for around $150 in the used market.

Nice one folks, I got hold of Skyrim and have just used up a significant portion of my life exploring and checking out the truely awesome graphics :D I'm well impressed!

Got any good first person seriously 'atmospheric' kind of recommendations? I remember half life blue shift was pretty freaky back in the day, I'd like something new like that.

Nice one folks, I got hold of Skyrim and have just used up a significant portion of my life exploring and checking out the truely awesome graphics :D I'm well impressed!

Got any good first person seriously 'atmospheric' kind of recommendations? I remember half life blue shift was pretty freaky back in the day, I'd like something new like that.

Well you could try the newer Metro games. Metro 2033 & Last Light Redux. Also you may enjoy Wolfenstein the New Order & Old Blood as well as a Zombie apocalypse game called Dying Light.

Im kindof in the same boat as this guy: I finally have a rig that might play a game or two but Ive been away from games for a long time. I thought I might start with Fable The Lost Chapters, but the box wants Win XP. Does anyone have any experience with this particular game? I would hate to purchase it and then not be able to run it (or have to set up a virtual machine just for one game). Compatability mode? Might work, but from what I've read it might not.

I will check into some of the other suggestions that you guys made for the OP as well. Thanks in advance.

Odds are I will probably try it. I read some pages that said not to trust compatability mode and they coulldnt get it to work, and others that said it worked out of the box with no issues on Win 7 and Win 8.1 As I said I might give it a shot anyway, but I was just wondering of there was a more reliable source out there. Thanks for diggin up the link for me

NP.

And don't forget you can now request a refund on steam if the game doesn't work. Just have less than 2 hours played and less than 14 (?) days of ownership.

Just got my hand on a copy of Call of Duty Advance Warfare, and i was very impress with the game play, the graphic is also very smooth and nice too, move over TITAN FALL, i got a new fav fps game now :)

Life is strange! Just finished it. you might not like it thought, i loved it, the music the atmosphere everything! and play it alone in case you don't want to have your crying video to get viral

If you also played the original Elite then you're showing your age! ;) My boys love Skyrim and still play it now (it's a bit of cult game) and I popped it on one of my Q6600/560Ti rigs and it plays and looks good at 1080p. The problem that you are going to run into is the GTX460. It will struggle to play fairly recent games at 1080p. I'd recommend a minimum of a 560TI but ideally a GTX670, which can be picked up here for great prices and would allow you to play newer games with better than medium graphics.

As to atmospheric FP games then I would try the Far Cry series; but a decent GPU is almost prerequisite as it can look very good if allowed to though you might be ok with the early Far Cry games.

Back