• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering ditching my G1 970 and upgrading to the new G1 980ti. Opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

In a nutshell my G1 970 eats away 1920x1080 and begs for more but I'm planning on a big upgrade soon and will be adding a 4k monitor to the collection. I have a huge question though as far as specs go is this G1 980ti going to be fully worth the $700 price tag it's going to carry. Everyone is saying it's going to be the 980ti to chew them all but that is not cheap to say the least. I quess my question is that is this card going to be a beast enough to run and RENDER 4k resolutions without slacking? My only worries is that my 8320 even OC'd is going to be a severe bottleneck on this card.

Opinions?

Too small of an upgrade to be worth it, unless you have another machine to use the 970 in or want to repurpose it as a folding card.

You can look around at various benchmarks and reviews. The 980ti does well (and obviously better than the 970) at 4K, but I still don't think any single GPU can power through 4K resolution with eye candy turned on and high (60+) FPS consistently.

My only other thought is in 3 days we will see the AMD Fury X reviews and true performance numbers start coming out (embargo date is the 26th). If the performance is as good as rumored, it may prompt nVidia to lower prices to stay competitive, as the Fury X card will be sold at $649 (and the air-cooled Fury [non-x]) will be $549. If it managed to take the performance crown it could be great for consumers.

not trying to be biased but im telling you now ive got 2 of those cards 980ti's and they are monsters and do they run 4k ? i run 4 k resolution on bf4 and my fps never drops below 80 fps minimum, and max fps 120 and thats maxed out settings everything maxed u wont be disapointed with a 980 ti they are exactly the same power as titan x even in 4K resolution there is a 3 fps difference so basically you lose 3 fps for buying a 980 ti and you also save 300 dollors compared to a titan x. But if your only buying one 980ti card be prepared for 45 fps in 4k, you need 2 of them for really high fps unless your turning the settings down AA off and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

best to buya 980 ti let them come down in price later on and add another one and u wont be upgrading your gpus for probably 3-4 years +

Back