• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think Old Thoughts, Power Mac G4 M5183 PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

I cant find any where on the interwebs if the PSU in a G4 power mac, specifically a 400Mhz AGP graphics G4 with gigabit (yea I thought it was odd too), was a standard ATX pin out or apple proprietary.

I pulled it out, the only thing that seems special on it is how the molex connectors were cut to length for the specific application. its a regular looking PSU, unlike some of the other model G4s out there were they are flat and long or just off the wall odd shaped, this ones a regular rectangle with standard 4 pin molex and a regular looking mobo connector.

I was wanting to play around with it, I picked it up years ago, never tried it but I was bored today so i gave it a shot. when I plugged it in it just started hissing, I unplugged it and that's when it started smelling like ammonia and I cracked the case open to air it out. apparently when I plugged it in it was the last straw for a cap on a standby circuit and it started hosing its guts out all over inside the PSU. fun times. glad the mobo was unhooked when I did this

Back