• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kintaldirk

Registered
Hello OCForums!

I need a new GPU since my old one got destroyed (AMD Radeon 6870 HD). I can't overclock because I'm not literate enough to do it safely. The purpose is to game - mostly MMOs - so I don't need something super powerful. I'd also like to keep the price at or below $200, using a 1920x1080 resolution. I'll consider going a little over if it's worth it, though.

My current specs are:

Intel Sandy Bridge i5-2500K CPU @3.3GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

8 gigs of ram

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS

MoBo: Uncertain, but sysinfo yields the manufacturer as Gigabyte Technology Co., LTD, model Z68A-D3H-B3 (a quick Google makes me think it's the GIGABYTE 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard)

Power Supply: 600W Corsair (model CMPSU-600CX V2), but I've had this for a few years (about... 3.5-4), so the actual wattage is likely lower. (Edited the wattage for accuracy, this post used to say 520W, which is wrong.)

GPU: Currently a Radeon X1600 that I harvested from a very old machine... the drivers only go up to Vista!

If there is anything I've forgotten, please let me know and I'll do my best to inform you. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
For a single 1080p monitor for light gaming I would just grab a R9 280x. Should be right around your price range too.

Yep a 280x or if you keep your eyes peeled for sales you may be able to find an r9 290 (non-x) for about that price

I like tbat 280x suggestion too...

I worry about an old psu though... what brand? Can you post pictures of the specs on the side of it?

It's a Corsair model - and sorry, it's 600W. I tried to get as close to the specs on the side as I could, sorry for potato quality on the side - hope it's good enough.

(Edit: Model number looks like CMPSU-600CX V2)

Do you guys have any preferred manufacturers? I was thinking of picking up the Sapphire model, particularly:

"Sapphire Technology Radeon R9 280X 3GB DDR5 VAPOR-X Video Card"

since it's on sale at my local Microcenter (edit: for $215 after rebate).

EDIT: Or perhaps this,

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100363VX-3L Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support TRI-X WITH BOOST (UEFI) Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202137 at $190 with rebate
At least, I was until I looked at its power reqs. - 750W.

Last edited:
Sapphire is a good brand. I have a Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X (essentially an R9 280) and a Sapphire 7970 dual-x(R9-280x). I've been playing Wot and Heroes of the Storm and they've been flawless. The vapor -x is the better cooler of the 2.

Side note: IIRC they don't make a full water block for the Vapor-X variant if you were planning to go H2O. But I could be wrong on that.

Back