• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement build, feedback needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

CPU: Intel Haswell Pentium G3258 3.2GHz

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 7200RPM

GPU: MSI GTX 750 OC Edition 1GB

Case: DIYPC Zondda-S Black SPCC ATX Mid Tower

Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS-R LA 1150

PSU: Corsair CX series CX500M 500W

This is replacing my computer that was just broken by a storage warehouse being careless. GPU, RAM, and hard drive are from the old pc, only things that weren't broken. Any suggestions on improvements? Gonna be playing minecraft, darksiders, assassins Creed, gamecube games on Dolphin emulator, and your basic Internet browsing. Might record the above games in the future, feedback is welcome, thanks!

You need to at least get a quad core CPU... 4670 or something. Dual core is good for browsing the web/email, etc, but in some games it can really limit performance... in fact a couple of games wont work at all with a dual core.

I thought the 3258 was the anniversary one that could be overclocked? Or am I mistaken? Whole point of me picking that one was review that said its overclockability made it perfect for gaming builds

Overclocking and the number of cores are two different things. It will be fine for most titles, but it tends to put a glass celing on performance in a lot of cases. If this is not a 'hold over' type build and you plan on keeping this for a while, I would go quad core.

Yeah, this is just a placeholder for now. Can't really afford an i5 at the moment, on a $270 max budget. I don't want super high fps with 3 monitors, just a computer that can hold me over until I can upgrade the CPU, probably in August.

Back