• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Intel E5200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kryptzo

I want to overclock my E5200 2.5ghz stock cpu to at least 3ghz my specs are:

CPU - Intel Pentium E5200 2.5GHz
MOBO - GA965P-DQ6
RAM - X2 Corsair 2GBs , X2 Kingston 2GBs ( 8gb Total ) 400MHz DDR2
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce EVGA GTX 285 1GB
PSU - Enermax REVOLUTION 85+ 1020W SLI®
CASE - Silverstone TJ10
SCREEN - LG E2340 HDMI

Any help? I have following related software installed: RealTemp, CPUZ and ClockGen
( if it makes any difference )

Please help I am new to Over Clocking I know my CPU is not the greatest but i assume my PSU and GPU make up for that... Does anyone know what I can push my CPU to with these specs?​

Every CPU will vary as far as what it can overclock to. I have seen these well into the 3GHz range though.

That said, there is a guide in the "Intel ULtimate Sticky" thread called "How to overclock C2Q and C2D" (your CPU). Check that out... it has enough information to get you started... post back with any questions! One thing though is your ram... are they all matching timings? Please post up shots of CPUz, the memory tab, and 2 of the SPD tab that shows one each of the different sticks.

Your PSU and GPU doesn't make up for anything I'm sorry. You could be using a 500W PSU and results would still be the same. That PSU is actually massive overkill for your system.

well for starters you psu is way overkill but like he said doesnt make up for anything. now if you have to keep this setup, i would suggest a different cpu for ocing, IMO, ie E7200. if your stuck with what you got we can try to make things work.

now breaking things down, the cpu has a 12.5 multi from the fsb speed ie 200mhz/800mhz QDR-FSB. where to start, go into the bios set the ram:fsb ratio to 1:1. depending on what core temp says for you vid on that cpu, its hard to say where to start. you dont want it on auto that is for sure, the board could be feeding it more voltage then it needs. I'm not sure what the max select-able fsb is in in the bios for that board, never messed with it, i was a Abit fan. i think we can get you higher then 3ghz. as with your ram ratio at 1:1, raise your fsb in bios to 266mhz. this will for the time being underclock the ram so we can see what the cpu can do. from there we can try to go back to a 1:2 ratio to see if the ram can handle the higher speed, as this would put your ram at DDR2-1066. i suggest memtest86 for seeing if the ram will handle that but thats a bit later. as your ram might need more voltage and relaxed timings as well.

what would be helpful, is if you could list the actual model of ram your using. a mixing ram will not always work for different reasons, esp in ocing unless you know they are the same IC's being used. if you could list options in your bios things like cpuvoltage/chipset voltage, things like that. as im thinking 3.33ghz should be doable on that cpu, pusing it more is where things will get tricky.

Back