• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About time for a new monitor me thinks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag10

OK so, currently i have been holding out till I could afford to buy a new monitor and that time is fast approaching. Currently I have an old Samsung 17" 1280x1024 and its a great monitor an all however its starting to show its age. So I have been looking through newegg and PCPP to see what the current prices are for decent monitors.

Of course I would love to get the biggest badass one on the market but well budget will not allow for such, however what i am considering would be the following:
1) 120-144Hz
2) 1080 vs 1440
3) IPS(must have)
4) VESA mounting
5) Under $300 USD

I do currently have a GTX760 but may be upgrading that later this ear/early next year depending on how prices fall with the new AMD cards and current NVIDIA.I will be looking into 290/970 level performance. The remainder of the specs can be found in my SIG and any additional questions i can answer. I am primarily using this panel for gaming and productivity(I can also string the 1280 panel for additional flexibility.

I know its a tall order, but it has been a long time since I have purchased a monitor and quite a bit has changed since then, so I apologize for that in advance.

Well they are out there but I do agree, I want to move away from TN panels ASAP

If you want a 144Hz IPS panel stock, you are looking at only 2 on the market... The Asus PG279Q which I don't believe is publicly available yet and the Acer XB270HU which retails for $800 though you can grab for near $700 if they have an active code running directly through Acer's store.

Well id prefer a 144 Hz but its not mandatory, and i know they are really only just now starting to hit the market. what im mostly looking towards is the comparison between 1440 vs 1080 and 21:9@1080

i recently got a phone with a 1440p panel and although small the quality is amazing, and i feel that would honestly be the way to go. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH1GM6834 Is probably a consideration in the near future, but it seems to be the lowball of IPS 1440p variants

Last edited:
Just to give a brief explanation of that price:

There aren't that many actual panel manufacturers in the market. IPS was developed and actually patented by Hitachi, who then sold the patents to LG. Most (all?) IPS panels are actually made by LG.

When a large corporation (Dell, Apple, etc) goes to LG to buy panels, they only accept the ones that are flawless, A+ grade off the production line. All the other A and A- grade panels end up in these cheap Korean branded monitors, who over the past few years started exporting more and more back to the US. They have the absolute barebones in terms of features and secondary electronics (most only have a single dual-link DVI input, almost no color settings, etc.). Usually the lack of different inputs actually reduces the input lag for the monitor (one of the shortfalls of the IPS displays).

I've been running a Qnix QX-2710, which is really simialr to the Crossover you linked, and it's been great.

thanks for the information, i knew LG was a major manufacturer of the IPS but was unaware they were basically the sole provider of that tech. Now correct me if im wrong but isnt IPS typically superior to PLS panels? especially in gaming aspects?

Not that I've heard, they're really really really similar. Probably Samsung just reverse engineering the tech but making it just different enough to avoid legal trouble.

Really depends on the monitor setup... Ive seen PLS with superior colors to IPS and vice versa, just depends on the monitor. Samsung developed PLS as a low cost solution to IPS panels, in which they did a great job on IMO, far easier to overclock as well.

Hmm I see, see this is a topic i only know about a little because i have experiences anything but IPS and TN. I saw that the 2710 is a killer deal for the resolution in comparison to the IPS variants. As for overclocking a monitor im not sure how that goes tbh frankly, the best ive found is that with windows 10 somehow my monitor is "able" to output 1810x1448 with nothing in between 1280x1024 which seems odd and sounds kinda like a simulated resolution. It also gives me a better idea of how a display of greater resolution helps with clarity(although mind is somewhat blurry at for some images) compared to my native 1440 phone. So as a suggestion if I were to select 1 of the following monitors, which would be best of these?

Remember while they're listed on Newegg, if you go to the actual product page, Newegg isn't the actual seller of the product. Reading the reviews on Newegg, it looks like people are having mixed reviews with the actual seller of the monitor if a return is necessary.

I purchased mine from green-sum on Ebay. Whoever the account is has been selling these monitors since they started becoming popular. As you can see, they have a ridiculously good rep on Ebay. There are a few other reputable ones too.

The only reason I recommend that over Newegg is just due to the shear number of reviews and the large majority of them being positive. On the other hand, Newegg does do some sort of guarantee even though it's a 3rd party seller, so it's your call.

Hum I see your point and im still iffy about that, why cant newegg simply sell them? lol but thanks for the information ill have to check that out!

+1 from me on greensum being an amazing seller of the korean panel variants via eBay. Have ordered a few panels from that seller with absolutely no issue.

It appears that the QNIX QX2710 is Overclockable if running your IPS monitor over 60Hz is really important to you. Here is a link to a video that describes the overclocking process.

How to overclock the Qnix 27" QX2710 Evolution II 1440p Monitor - By TotallydubbedHD

It appears that the QNIX QX2710 is Overclockable if running your IPS monitor over 60Hz is really important to you. Here is a link to a video that describes the overclocking process.

How to overclock the Qnix 27" QX2710 Evolution II 1440p Monitor - By TotallydubbedHD

Well I wont bet the farm with the overclocking of the panels but it does seem to be a nice ability. but does anyone know the difference between the nomenclatures for the names? Like This from green-sum

Pixel perfect means that somebody turned on the monitor and made sure there are no dead pixels.

well dont get me wrong but thats pretty self explanitory but im more curious about the ones from newegg i linked above just to better school myself

Looks like the difference is glossy vs matte screen and single (just a DVI port) vs multiple (DVI and HDMI) ports.

Back