• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting FPS Drops in games - could it be my overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ComputerFreek

Hey everyone. Here is my system:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64bit Pro
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme 4
CPU: AMD FX-8120 Oc`ed
Memory: ADATA 16GB Stock (1333) Oc`ed
GPUs:
1: MSI 7870 Hawk
2: MSI 7870 TWIN Frozr III OC
HDDS:
Main: 2 SSD's RAID0
Data: 3 1TB's RAID0
PSU: Corsair RD850

Checked the voltages from the PSU both with the motherboard and a volt meter.
Performed a check on the memory - Passed
Performed a check on both RAID- Passed
Performed a stress test on the CPU- Passed - Didn't crash - Temps at 100% below 55c
Performed a stress test on GPU's - Passed - Didn't crash- Temps at 100% below 56c - Will spike to 60c

Overclock:

Bus Speed is at 210. Hovers around 208 - 209.08
HT and Northbridge are at 2519.xx
CPU is running at 4071-4094 - with a multiplier of 19.5.
Memory is running at 1402 from 1333.

I can't tell where the system lag is coming from. It doesn't lag within windows.But it just seems in games like Starcraft 2, Heros of the Storm... I get major fps drop. This was a fresh reinstall of 8.1. I had the same issue in windows 7. I thought maybe 8.1 will fix the fps drop. Am I pushing my system to hard?

Try disabling crossfire if you have that enabled. Not all blizzard games play well with multi-gpu

Well, if you are questioning if its the overclock, set it back to default and check...

That said, I doubt that is it if you are stable. Temps seem within range... but where are you getting those temps from?

Tried disabling Crossfire on those cards?

Can you elaborate on FPS drops? It is typical for FPS to vary and sometimes dramatically depending on what is happening on screen...

I will try to run those two games with out Crossfire. The FPS dropping is like... I will be in a map in SC2 and I will be at 50-60 fps ( which I think is low). Randomly the fps will drop to 15-20. Nothing else going on. No extra battles or fight scenes going on. When i installed 8.1 i put everything to default. Played one round of heros- if I recall it seemed to happen the same. But the fps in general was lower while not oc`ed.

Temps are coming from the motherboard and hardware monitor. I have confirmed that both hardware monitor and motherboard are reading the same temps.

Confirming that both AMD and NVidia's last couple rounds of drivers have had this particular problem in crossfire\sli mode in several games old and new (all the sli\crossfire gamers in my clan have complained about this from insurgency, read halflife engine, to Battlefield3+).

Back