• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How to automatically assign a Title tag based on a file name

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Let's say you have a folder with songs which have no ID Tags whatsoever.

For a folder named C:\ALBUM containing files:
01 Song 1
02 Song 2
03 Song 3

How do you automatically assign ID tags so that, for example,
file 02 Song 2 would be assigned a TITLE tag:
Song 2

In other words, without the 02 preceding it?
I know that Mp3tag ALT+2 feature can auto assign the full file name as a Title tag.

Hint: http://help.mp3tag.de/main_converter.html#ftt

EDIT: Solved!

Bingo, solved using this freeware: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

Load the folder containing all subfolders/files.

To assign a TITLE tag Song 2 to a file called 02 Song 2.mp3

1. Load the folder containing all subfolders/files.

2. Assign file name to ID TITLE TAG (For example 02 Song 2.mp3 file would have a TITLE TAG 02 Song 2):

CTRL+A > ALT+2 > drop down arrow > Title > Enter > OK > OK

3. Then Remove (for the example of file name 02 Song.mp3) three starting characters:

CTRL+A > Actions > Actions (Quick) > Replace with regular expression > OK

Field: Title
In Regular expression enter ^.{3} if you want to remove 3 chars.
Replace matches with stays empty.
OK > OK

[You should use 3 characters because in 02 Song 2 you are removing 02 plus one space.]

Hold SHIFT to select everything in between the first and last file of your choice.
Hold CTRL to select a beginning of a new set of files.
Hold both SHIFT and CTRL together to select the end of a new set of files (so that a previous first set of files still stays selected).

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I don't want to rename file names, just assign ID Tags. I've discovered that Mp3tag freeware can do it using ALT+2.

But if a file name is 03 Song 3.mp3 - can any program assign the Title tag to be Song 3 without 03 preceding it? In other words, not 03 Song 3.

The program you suggested has a 20 day full trial, I've installed it, but it doesn't seem to have this option?

Last edited:
there should be a tab in the bottom of functions that's either called tagging or ID3 and you should be able to select the files you want to change and type in the function logic. make sure you get the pro version, meanwhile I'll look through my programs folder and see if I mis-recalled which one it is.

- - - Updated - - -

look in the help for ID3 and hit has the tag editor instructions there for the new turbo version, the older version was a lot easier, still looking. Yeah, it's in the basic section, mp3 tag setter. enjoy!

Thanks but I happened to have figured it out using this freeware: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

To assign a TITLE tag Song 2 to a file called 02 Song 2.mp3

1. Load the folder containing all subfolders/files.

2. Assign file name to ID TITLE TAG (For example 02 Song 2.mp3 file would have a TITLE TAG 02 Song 2):

CTRL+A > ALT+2 > drop down arrow > Title > Enter > OK > OK

3. Then Remove (for the example of file name 02 Song.mp3) three starting characters:

OK > OK

[You should use 3 characters because in 02 Song 2 you are removing 02 plus one space.]

Hold SHIFT to select everything in between the first and last file of your choice.
Hold CTRL to select a beginning of a new set of files.
Hold both SHIFT and CTRL together to select the end of a new set of files (so that a previous first set of files still stays selected).

Last edited:
More specifically, add the files you want to change the tag, mp3 tag setter, make sure they're in the correct order in the list, check the box track number, check the box automatically increment, run the rename. Track value will now be 1,2,3, etc. if you wanted words in there, you can edit the batch process to throw in what you want.... I recommend, "this is awesome, thanks nicspits track 1,2,3 etc." lol~! enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooo nice, keeping that one too! Thanks!!!

Thanks but I happened to have figured it out using this freeware: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

CTRL+A > ALT+2 > Enter > OK > OK

OK > OK

You should use 3 characters because in 03 Song 3 you are removing 03 plus one space.

Just bought a car stereo and the new version's firmware just like some PC music players only really displays the ID TAG info.

Well in if there is no ID TAG, why not display the file name!?!?!?
I purposely remove All ID tags to force display of the actual file name...

Back