• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old i7 920 vs. new AMD FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theflaminroids

Registered
Okay, so right now I have an old i7 920 running at 3.3ghz on a socket 1366 Gigabyte EX58 board with 6 GB of triple channel memory. I got a smoking deal on this setup ($150 for board, chip, and ram) about four years ago and now another deal has fallen in my lap. A friend of mine came across a computer in an auction and he's offered it to me for $100. He doesn't know exactly which AMD FX chip it is, but it has 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance memory and an ASUS M5A99FX Pro 2.0 board. Either way, $100 is a steal considering it also comes with two 1 TB drives and a 500GB SSD. My question is: How will this stack up against my old i7? I'm picking it up on Friday and I'll benchmark it against my i7, but benchmarks won't tell me everything. Should I replace my old i7 for the new FX?

it might all be a wash TBH, it might be worth it if you can OC it. still i think it would take a decent clock speeds on the amd to get what your getting even on the older 920. TBH what i would do is part it out, you can make more money off of it that way. either by EBAY or CL or classies here, that amount of memory depending on its speed would be about 100-200 alone. the 500gig SSD depending on which model is going to fall around 100-180, so really you can make some money off of it. if you wanted to just sell your old i7 stuff to and do a full upgrade to a newer i7 if you wanted to. just in parts alone im thinking that whole setup is prolly actually worth 300-400, i guess this also depends if the board/cpu work and/or nothing else is fried. other wise i would find someone looking to scavenge for gold off the cpu pins/ ram pins/HD SATA pins ect.

Update: So the FX CPU just happens to be an 8350 and the system works perfectly. I'm debating right now on if I will miss my old i7 if I swap them out.

8 cores at 4ghz for that price you paid! wow, i dont think you will....

Back