• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Used 780ti Classified, or New 970?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

I have a friend who has dual 780ti Classifieds, looking to sell them and upgrade to 980ti Classifieds (once they are out).
He's selling them one at a time for $250. Should I jump on this, or go for the GTX 970 new, instead?

I think performance wise they're pretty much even. The 970 has a bit more memory available and sucks a bit less electricity. After that it's what $70 difference? I'd say it's a tie and $250 is a pretty reasonable price for the 780Ti

Id lean on the 970 personally. It has .5GB more of 'fast' ram, and uses A LOT less power (100W less - 150W vs 250W). Is that worth the monetary difference to you? Because performance wise, they are pretty similar.

I don't know if it's worth it solely for the monetary difference. But the 384-bit memory bus, and the Classified "trim level", are appealing.

Don't get tripped up over the bus width. Just look at the raw performance numbers at your given resolution.

To dig down a bit, NVIDIA introduced some new compression algo's allowing them to keep the smaller bus and still get very good performance at high resolutions (think 5760x1080 or 4K). At 1440p, the 970's 256bit bus won't choke. At 4K, it shows signs of that as the gap between it and the 290/290x is smaller than at lower resolutions.

You are going 1440, right? You may want to add that into the first post as it is pretty relevant. :)

I guess the resolution would have been good to mention... I am debating between a 1080p 144Hz and a 2560x1080, and am leaning heavily towards the Ultrawide.

Be careful on the ultra wide as not all games support it, and not all games can you edit the .ini file to force proper support of it.

Be careful on the ultra wide as not all games support it, and not all games can you edit the .ini file to force proper support of it.

so true.
same thing goes for triple screen resolutions.. sounds amazing until 8 out of 10 games you try cant do it properly.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get an ROG SWIFT and be done with it...

If the ROG Swift is that 27" 2560x1440 IPS 144Mhz... Yes.

Not IPS, but 144Hz 1440p. Acer does have the 144Hz 1440p IPS, but it's another $100, give or take.

Does anyone think GSync is going to come down significantly, any time soon?

bro its not even close the same performance

- - - Updated - - -

ive had both those cards johan ive had 970 980 and a 780ti and the 780ti actually performs when oced the same compared to even a 980 never mind a 970. The 780 ti is 2-4 fps slower than a 980 which is still alot faster than a 970

there u go

i like youtube that does factual stuff tech powerup is legitmate i never said it wasnt i just dont trust written reviews cuz alot of them are biased and i admit im wrong ive found videos of the 970 out performing 780 ti by legit uploaders so my bad i was wrong for once

- - - Updated - - -

theres the legit vid

TPU is all have been quoting you to support my assertions and you most certainly blew it off more than once...

For once... LOL.. ok. leave sleeping dogs lay is my suggestion Kame.. :)

if u ever want legit videos of frame rates for games duderandom, and digital foundry, rcog, are the ones who do the best games testing/fps tests

- - - Updated - - -

lies lies =)

- - - Updated - - -

that 970 sucha good card i was tempted to buy 3 of them but to much heat without water coolign so i went with 2 980ti's

Back