• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[UNIQUE] Which of these 3 (identical) CPUs would last longer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
alrite so false alert (I think)

actually he didn't use the CPU overclocked he only tested it once to see how far it could go both with conventional & air-cooling (other than that he used it around 4 years at stock settings)

he claims he got it to 3.5 ghz with conventional cooling (huge Zalman heatsink) and 4ghz with air cooling

but the weird part is he also says he never raises voltage :confused: (because he says he's a bit paranoid about voltage, kinda like me)

so now question is, is it credible that someone can overclock such a cpu all the way from 2.66ghz to 4ghz & keep it stable without raising voltage, or could he have been lying? (he appear honest but it's a huge claim so I wanna know what the experts here think )

I know the i5 750 has good o/c potential but iirc all extreme (+50%) overclocks require a voltage increase no?

It's possible he could have had that voltage set to Auto, and it would have been raising the voltage without him (the seller) realizing it.

That said though, it is possible to get a 50% or greater overclock at stock voltage. I recently tested an LGA1366 socket Xeon E5640 with a stock voltage of 1.25v and default speed of 2660MHz (2.66GHz), I got it up to 4000MHz (4GHz) (50% overclock) at 1.20v (I decreased the voltage going to the CPU), and 4100MHz (4.1GHz) (54% overclock) at 1.24v. It's a bit of a weird coincidence that I just tested a CPU that has the same stock frequency.

It's not always guaranteed to hit a specific overclock percentage on any one particular CPU model at the default voltage of that CPU model. It varies depending upon the quality of the silicon in that part (since manufacturers only test for the part meeting the specifications of that particular model, and not necessarily for the maximum performance it can reach), and the quality can vary between different units in the same product line/model.

I can see it being able to pretty easily hit 3.5GHz when the stock speed is 2.66GHz. That's generally pretty easy for CPU's that aren't greatly Front Side Bus/Base Clock limited (like LGA1366 and that LGA1156). I wouldn't really say a 50% overclock is "Extreme", though it certainly isn't the easiest thing to achieve.

That said though, it is possible to get a 50% or greater overclock at stock voltage. I recently tested an LGA1366 socket Xeon E5640 with a stock voltage of 1.25v and default speed of 2660MHz (2.66GHz), I got it up to 4000MHz (4GHz) (50% overclock) at 1.20v (I decreased the voltage going to the CPU), and 4100MHz (4.1GHz) (54% overclock) at 1.24v. It's a bit of a weird coincidence that I just tested a CPU that has the same stock frequency.
so how that possible? :confused:

generally hows it possible to overclock +50% stable without increasing voltage? (is super-cooling all it takes?)

so how that possible? :confused:

generally hows it possible to overclock +50% stable without increasing voltage? (is super-cooling all it takes?)

Oh no, "super-cooling" or Sub-Zero cooling wasn't necessary. Really the issue of whether or not it can get such a high overclock at stock voltage just depends upon the quality of the CPU, or rather the materials inside it. Though there are some socket types where Sub-Zero cooling is necessary for such a high overclock, LGA1156 and LGA1366 are not among those platforms. It's usually older platforms like LGA775 and older that needs sub-zero cooling to reach 50% or greater, with Intel parts anyway.

I just used a big air cooling heatsink with two fans mounted to it, one pushing cool air (room temperature) into the front of it and a second at the back of the heatsink pulling hot air off of the back of it.

http://www.thermalright.com/html/archives/cpu_heatsink/true_black_revc.html

DSCN3415.JPG

Last edited:
Oh no, "super-cooling" or Sub-Zero cooling wasn't necessary. Really the issue of whether or not it can get such a high overclock at stock voltage just depends upon the quality of the CPU, or rather the materials inside it. Though there are some socket types where Sub-Zero cooling is necessary for such a high overclock, LGA1156 and LGA1366 are not among those platforms. It's usually older platforms like LGA775 and older that needs sub-zero cooling to reach 50% or greater, with Intel parts anyway.

I just used a big air cooling heatsink with two fans mounted to it, one pushing cool air (room temperature) into the front of it and a second at the back of the heatsink pulling hot air off of the back of it.

http://www.thermalright.com/html/archives/cpu_heatsink/true_black_revc.html
ok but in the end good cooling still helps to avoid over-volting?

btw I made small mistake in the OP, the CPU he's selling is an i5 760 not 750 so he overclocked it to 4ghz from 2.8ghz instead of 2.66ghz. that's still huge overclock though so he made a +1.2ghz overclocked which he claims was kept at stock voltage. I just wish someone else here maybe did a similer feat with a 1156 CPU

btw the 760 is just a slightly overclocked version of the 750 right? both are physically identical down to moleculer level so I reckon the difference is just the pricetag

Ambient cooling methods will not allow you to lower voltage, no.

The difference means nothing. And I highly doubt he did it on stock voltage...someone else doing it would do nothing for you.

750ti and 760 are completely different cards and completely different performance.

btw I made small mistake in the OP, the CPU he's selling is an i5 760 not 750 so he overclocked it to 4ghz from 2.8ghz instead of 2.66ghz. that's still huge overclock though so he made a +1.2ghz overclocked which he claims was kept at stock voltage. I just wish someone else here maybe did a similer feat with a 1156 CPU

btw the 760 is just a slightly overclocked version of the 750 right? both are physically identical down to moleculer level so I reckon the difference is just the pricetag

Okay, well going from 2.8GHz to 4GHz with stock voltage is a less difficult task. A 1.2GHz overclock isn't near as big of a deal, as far as difficulty, with LGA1156.

With my i5 650 I went from the stock 3.2GHz to 4.4Ghz with 1.26v, and stock was around 1.25-1.26v (couldn't determine it for sure, my motherboard was a bit weird). I haven't tested an i5 750 or 760 yet though, so I couldn't say for certain how they perform (since 750 and 760 are from an older generation than the 650), they may perform differently.

Essentially yes, the 760 is just a higher multiplier as far as I know.

so you think he could be lying?
in which case he probably trying to sell of a broken or defective cpu or something :mad:

No no and no.

Sure he overclocked it, but that doesn't mean the CPU will die tomorrow.
FWIW I have run my current CPU at over 1.75 Vcore. AMD's max is vcore 1.55 and I even got the chip 22C over it's maximum temp of 70C. It was running at 92C for at least and hour and look, it's still going strong today. :)

If you don't feel he's being legit, don't buy it.

FWIW I have run my current CPU at over 1.75 Vcore. AMD's max is vcore 1.55 and I even got the chip 22C over it's maximum temp of 70C. It was running at 92C for at least and hour and look, it's still going strong today. :)
Try to sell it now, feeding people that info.
Lemme know how you make out. :p

Hahaha I know that. :p

Point I was trying to make was CPU's will tolerate some harsh beatings ;)
Point I was making to the OP was, the seller isn't disclosing all the info because he wants a sale.
I guaranty if he's an OC'er, that chip has been run harder than he's telling.

Point I was making to the OP was, the seller isn't disclosing all the info because he wants a sale.
I guaranty if he's an OC'er, that chip has been run harder than he's telling.

Well that's true too.

Honestly though, even ifI​ had that chip it would still last a few years..

or it could die tomorrow. That's the way it is.
Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

Those can be air clocks...but likely water.

But, I don't understand the point of this line of questioning. You have all the information you need (and more) to make an educated choice. Pull the trigger on one of those CPUs already. :)

Back