• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blown motherboard replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jsec42

I have a bit of a delima. I have had a gaming server for some time, it has an Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard, an FX-8350 cpu, 16gb ram, NVidia GeForce 750ti gpu, 320gb hard disk, a slimline blu-ray drive, a Claro+ Audio card, and a 650w PSU to run the show. Problem is, the motherboard's cpu power regulator burned out yesterday, and I am in need of a new motherboard for this unit. What would be a decent motherboard, given the rest of my hardware?

At stock, most 990FX boards will do, but I think the minimum that gets recommended here is the ASUS M5A99FX. To push it, you really need a high end board, and there are really only 2 that get recommended: The ASUS Sabertooth 990FX and the ASUS Crosshair IV/V (can't remember which one exactly).

These are power hungry chips, so power delivery is essential.

How much are you looking to spend? For the money this is a tough board to beat. Though we do see a few people come through here that have issues with Gigabyte boards if you plan on overclocking. The M5A99X Evo and M5A990Fx as mentioned by Dlaw are really nice boards and are usually good for a mild overclock. I own a M5A99X Evo it's a great board for the money.

I was thinking about the Asus Sabertooth, thx! From what I hear, I was pretty lucky that my old motherboard held out for as long as it did! I do plan on overclocking a bit, but since I didn't go overboard with the GPU, my 650w PSU shold be enough for what I need it for.

Last edited:
Asus Sabertooth is a really good board its pretty much the go to board for running a Fx 8xxx/9xxx Cpu if overclocking. My only question is what 650w Psu do you have. Quality is much more important then quantity when it comes to PSU's!

I know about that, I had a new power supply not work once. It is a Thermaltake 650w psu, not sure of the exact model.

Find that out and report back when you can. It should be ok, but Thermaltake has made a couple of stinkers in the past.

Back