• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Build AMD FX-9590 Asus R290x Matrix Platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When running an AMD processor especially a Fx you will be much better off with a Single high end Gpu over 2 slightly lesser Gpu's in Sli/XFire.

Ok I understand..I bought them just because big diferent in price compare to NVIDIA.....and AMD vs INTEL....

It will do a fine job, dont get me wrong. But it is putting a glass ceiling on them, particularly at that low of a resolution. See the link I provided.

It shows you that there is a significant difference with 2 7970's in Crossfire with an AMD CPU (8350) versus an Intel CPU (3770K)... on the order of 26% difference at the same clockspeeds.

How many Intel chips run 4.7/5.0ghz at stock?
That's a lot of GHz speed for the Intel chips to make up.

The 8350 is stock at 4GHz. Aside from that, clock speed isn't everything. Intel chips are more powerful clock for clock, so even an i7 at 3.4Ghz is as powerful or more so than an 8350 at 4GHz.

How many Intel chips run 4.7/5.0ghz at stock?
That's a lot of GHz speed for the Intel chips to make up.
Not to get into the Intel Vs AMD for the millionth time but with all things being equal. My 4770k at stock clocks will beat my 8350 at 4.7 when I'm gaming. I've tested both Cpu's swapping 3 different Gpu's around using the same drivers on both. Is it a huge difference, no it's only a few Fps in mainly FPS games. Though as ED mentioned if going with 2 gpus AMD will fall on it's face. Trust me I hate saying it because I think the Fx 8350 is a great chip and I choose to use mine daily over my 4770k, but a fact is a fact! AMD especially the Fx chips just cant handle running 2 Gpu's and even come close to matching up to the Intel chips.

^^^^^^^^^ this is why I game with a 4790K and overclock an 8350.
that being said, in core aware software, the 8350 has 8 cores the software can use, the 4790K has only 4 real, usable cores.

Yep, there are some things the FX processors really shine at (like video encoding, for example), and can even do better than a $100 more expensive i7.

So what for in Croshair V formula-Z there is 4 GPU Slots if FX processor cant hadle even 2 GPU's ???? What are u talking about because i cant understand it....

So what for in Croshair V formula-Z there is 4 GPU Slots if FX processor cant hadle even 2 GPU's ???? What are u talking about because i cant understand it....
It is not that it cannot handle it per se, if you read the article that Earthdog linked in post #18 you will get a better idea of what we are trying to explain.

I will try to explain myself, I hope this makes sense. When one buys a second Gpu for either Sli or Crossfire you do not double the frame rates from where you were at with a single card. You may get a 60-70% increase, this is game dependent and also system dependent. AMD Fx chips will in most cases give you a lesser increase in FPS when going to a second Gpu in Xfire or SLI then it's Intel counterparts. Again, this will depend on the game played and other factors come into account.

It must also be mentioned that x-fire support in AMD's drivers are severely lacking. The driver team is so far behind and hasn't been able to release a WHQL driver in very long time. Stick to the single card or go Nvidia & Intel for SLI setups.

I understand now...dont know what to do .cos i just bought 2nd GPU 2 weeks ago...and new CPU aswell,so i dont think that would be good idea to sell them now?....and buy 980ti..what
do U think lads?

If you already purchased them then use them, but for the screen resolution you're playing at 1 R9 290X is plenty.

In GTA V and project cars fps go down sometimes to 25-30... Graphic at Ultra set up...1080p...so i think second one would be needed to.play at 60 Fps...1080p

In GTA V and project cars fps go down sometimes to 25-30... Graphic at Ultra set up...1080p...so i think second one would be needed to.play at 60 Fps...1080p
Then put the second card in and see if it helps. Note though, your drop in frame rates may be caused by the high temps you noted in your other thread. Adding a second card is not going to help temps. Additionally, I do not know if they have fixed the issues with project cars but I do know there were issues with it running on AMD Gpu's. You might want to look into that and see if they have resolved the issue yet.

Ok thanks.i will change old fans to NOCTUA NF-F12 INDUSTRIALPPC-2000 PWM 120MM FANS and see if that help drop temps down a bit..if not ill get extra 240 radiator...

Last edited:
Back