• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Old E5450 Xeon to 3.94GHz???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fikrmy6

It is safe to overclock Xeon processors to 3.94 Ghz from default speed of 3 GHz? this is my first overclock. And I done Intel Burn test for 10 Minute with High stress rate and ended result with success IMG_3481[1].jpg . I've use CoolerMaster V6 heatsink to cool this chip.:confused:

I'm never overclocked a xeon, but I think for the others to evaluate your overclock you will need to give them some more information.

1) CPU-Z Screenshots to see the voltage set etc.
2) Screenshot of HWmonitor (or what else you use for monitoring your temps)
3) Any additional information that might be relevant for that overclock

PS: The heatsink looks nice :)

To be quite honest, I wouldn't do it on that system...

1. You only have a 3+1 power section and there isn't a heatsink on it.
2. Im not sure your bios has overclocking options in the first place?
3. If you can overclock, every CPU is different. So I can't tell you what voltage you need to set it to... that is part of overclocking is figuring out the least amount of voltage needed for a given clock and be stable.

That said, in the Ultimate Intel Sticky thread, there is a guide on overclocking these chips (C2D/C2Q overclocking). Check that out and give it a try... just keep those power parts around the socket cool.

EDIT: Please do not create multiple threads on the same subject. Keep it to one thread (I merged your threads).

This is the CPU info reading

This is the CPU info reading, temps on normal is 36 celcius, full load at 3 GHz is 61 celcius 20130925_E5450_001.png

Xeons are a completely different beast to overclock, you'd be lucky to get it past 3.4... Xeons typically have a locked multiplier (well 50% locked you can clock down but not up), but sometimes you can raise them a little via the FSB but you're going to bottom out fast that way. To get much higher than 3.2/3.4 you're going to need to be able to overvolt the CPU, RAM and northbridge iirc.

I'm not sure how far you can push ECC memory before you run into issues, I haven't really played with it...

Xeons are no different than their non Xeon locked desktop counterpart. Its all FSB clocking with them too. Depending on his ram speed, he may not have to touch its voltage... so long as the 1:1 ratio doesn't go past its rated speed, you don't touch the ram voltage.

He has ECC memory?????? Just because its a xeon doesn't mean its ECC memory... and I doubt his regular board supports it in the first place.

Xeons are a completely different beast to overclock, you'd be lucky to get it past 3.4... Xeons typically have a locked multiplier (well 50% locked you can clock down but not up), but sometimes you can raise them a little via the FSB but you're going to bottom out fast that way. To get much higher than 3.2/3.4 you're going to need to be able to overvolt the CPU, RAM and northbridge iirc.

not quite true... its literally the same as a c2q or c2d to overclock. fsb isnt going to bottom out fast at all, i have an e5345 i managed to get up to 3.8ghz all fsb.

not quite true... its literally the same as a c2q or c2d to overclock. fsb isnt going to bottom out fast at all, i have an e5345 i managed to get up to 3.8ghz all fsb.

I'm sorry my bad, I was thinking he had a standard server grade motherboard for some reason with limited options. Turns out it's a consumer grade mobo, so a decent overclock might be possible. If the g41 chipset can handle it (because I know mine put up quite a fuss).

I'll just leave this to the experts.

Yep, that is what we said.. depends on the board. G41 isn't great for overclocking, and he will be FSB limited I would imagine.

But he doesn't have ECC or anything so he's as good as he is going to get with the current hardware.

ive actually done pretty good on some g41 boards, some of them even have voltage control's

I'm not sure how far you can push ECC memory before you run into issues, I haven't really played with it...

Lucky beyond 3.4 GHz, I must be very lucky:
xVkqJaT.jpg

For more details look here:

... all on air cooling, the rig is quiet and running at 4.12 GHz. ASUS P5Q3 (non-server) mobo, standard DDR3 1333 CL9 Goodram 2x4GB eunning @ 1460 MHz

1. Case fans:

3x 12cm case fans:
1 case fan back (air out)
1 case fan top (air out)
1 case fan side (air in)

2x 14cm case fans in front (air in), photo with dust filter taken off.

3. Noctua NH-D14 with 1x 12cm fan and 1x 14cm fan (default Noctua fans)

4. All fans regulated by ASUS Q-Fan control in BIOS

Hope this will help others. I get a stable 4105 MHz with room ambient temp at 25-27 Celsius and prime 95 small data set core 0 reaching 76 Celsius.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry my bad, I was thinking he had a standard server grade motherboard for some reason with limited options. Turns out it's a consumer grade mobo, so a decent overclock might be possible. If the g41 chipset can handle it (because I know mine put up quite a fuss).

I'll just leave this to the experts.

Indeed, I have a P45, not G41, seems it makes a difference

BTW, If someone would like to get a ASUS with P45, like my P5Q3, remember about the RAM restriction. It will not accept bones with 8x 512 MB RAM chips (one sided). They need to have 16x 256 MB chips on them!

And I have two of them working in dual channel mode. I heard you can't put more than 8 GB RAM on that board, at least not in 1333 mode.

Last edited:
Back