• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build with some old parts, advice welcome!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ringside

Registered
Hello all,

My Western Digital media player recently died and I found myself wondering if I could possibly build something with the handful of bits and pieces I have laying around here, as cheaply as possible.

So what I'm looking to build is a media center / player, capable of playing Blu-ray and whatever video files I throw at it, courtesy of VLC. One of my concerns about the WD TV was that even though it was very god, it could be picky at times with what it wanted to play.

Anyway, I have the following parts, sitting in boxes.....

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X3 720 Triple-Core 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W HDZ720WFGIBOX Black Processor
G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
HIS H487FN1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
1 x Rosewill RNX-G300EX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128bit

This would leave me on the hunt for cheap / used / free......

ATX Media Center case
Blu-Ray drive
PSU

I have a couple of spare hard drives laying around already.

So my questions are, with the components I have already, will this be enough to play HD video without issue? what is the lowest PSU you would recommend? And is there anything else that I may not be thinking of? I've never built a media center before.

Thanks for reading,

Last edited by a moderator:
That is plenty to play HD vids and BR.

I would run a Corsair CX500 on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back