• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New cpu installed, multiplier set.... No extra mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

I finally got my Phenom II x4 965BE today and popped it in. Cpu-z shows everything is good (now that I think about it I didn't look at the l3 cache to see whether the extra was unlocked or not). Hwmonitor shows nice round temps at stock (30ish) and load maxed at 47 C. So I happily went to see what it's like to OC with a BE chip. For starters I moved the multiplier up to 20 to see if I could get 4ghz just that easy, saved settings and booted. Wonder of wonders it booted straight into Windows without a hitch! But when I went to check cpuz I saw that I was still sitting at 3.4ghz (stock speed). I figured maybe I would need to put some stress to it to see top speed (of course that isn't right, but I might as well try) nope stayed right at stock speed.

My next thought was that the OC was no good and since the settings were no good it had booted at default settings gs or something, but when I checked the bios the settings were where I had left them. Anyone know what's going on here?

Last edited:
Well, I'm willing to bet it didn't boot into windows just that easily - your computer probably attempted at 20x multi, but failed and quickly restarted and set the default config before you noticed. Hence the stock speed.

You are going to have to do a little work to hit 4.0.

Well, I'm willing to bet it didn't boot into windows just that easily - your computer probably attempted at 20x multi, but failed and quickly restarted and set the default config before you noticed. Hence the stock speed.

You are going to have to do a little work to hit 4.0.

I agree, this was just a dry run. I figured I'd see no booting and then start with the real work. I had 3.8 on a different time board with a different chip (also a 965 be... Just a different one) I just wanted to see if "new board + new cooler = easy OC"

However I am still confused by the results. At first I thought it had done as you said, but it really is just booting in @ 3.4ghz, then I check the bios and the multi is still @ 20 (200 x 20 = 4000mhz) I'll check some more stuff and see if it makes a difference. As I said all I've done at this point is raise the multiplier

Well some 965 need 1.5v + for 4.0 so i agree with RT. Giga boards will boot at default pretty quickly if something doesn't work. Try just raising the multi to 17.5 and boot. Then see if it takes.

Depending on stepping revision, this cpu may not be good for 4ghz, and if it is a newer C3, They start getting hot around 1.55v-1.60v

It would be most helpful to know what we would be dealing with here. First post is new cooling on the way. So I'm figuring the cooling your using now is stock or some air cooler.

What are them temps at? Load? With a picture?

I'll get some pics for ya guys. It's the 125w chip for certain (c3? ) but I do have the new cooler installed actually. I'm very sorry for my poor sig management, I'd just like to get my system up and running then have an "unveil" for bragging rather than have it there cuz I need help :) so I keep putting it off. I guess I just thought this might not need pics, perhaps it's a common issue I hadn't seen before.....

Until the pics get here I can tell you this much, with the voltage on auto the bios said 1.45v and the NB and HT link were both @ 2000. I didn't also disable the power saver stuff as well.

Edit: Sig is current again. GPU is still a standin so I left it as it was but if it's super important I put the R5 220 back in until the new one comes in

Last edited:
So again try raising the multi by .5 and see if it boots to 3.5, then test it and monitor your temps. There's only one way to OC and it's one step at a time.

Okeeydokie guys....I think I got some of the pics you need, let me know if you need more. I grabbed an hwmonitor @ idle, and at load (at the x20 multi) and a cpuz at that level as well. I also grabbed a cpuz from when I set the multi back @ 17.5, but i didnt do any of the rest because it seemed redundant :)

idle @ x20
cpu_z_stock_idle.PNG

idle @ 17.5
cpuz_raisedmulti_idle.PNG

idle @ x20
hwmonitor_stock_underload.PNG

load @ x20
hwmonitor_stock_idle.PNG

Heres what I got so far. I snagged some pics from the bios as well but I dont think I have anything to convert them from bitmap images, and they are apparently over the forums sizelimit for those types of images

Well if that really was at 17.5 then your bios might not be taking changes. I would suggest a good cmOS clear before you go any further.

Ill clear the CMOS and get back to you guys. I gotta get away from this screen for a while though so my next reply wont come in today. and when you say a "good" cmos clear, do you mean an 8 hour long , no battery marathon, or just hitting the jumper

Are you on the beta bios?
Go back to F5.
Anything I need to know or could understand about why? I'll do it, I'm just curious if there's bugs or something, it's almost too old to be a beta still, I'd almost expect a new one by now if they're still supporting this board right?

Problem was still there after I cleared the cmos, but I tried manually setting a the voltages instead of leaving it on auto, and now I'm cooking with petro!

Anything I need to know or could understand about why? I'll do it, I'm just curious if there's bugs or something, it's almost too old to be a beta still, I'd almost expect a new one by now if they're still supporting this board right?

Problem was still there after I cleared the cmos, but I tried manually setting a the voltages instead of leaving it on auto, and now I'm cooking with petro!
A beta is a beta for a reason. That means there are still potential bugs. That's why it has never been released from the beta stage. F5 is the last known stable bios. Start there.
I highly doubt you'll ever see another updated bios for that board............unless I make it myself.

A .......unless I make it myself.

That's a cryptic comment. You work for those jokers or something? Or are you just a bios guru? This board runs dual bios so I'll test it if you do... Maybe

Mr_S is a cryptic sort of guy when it comes to computers. Been that way for nigh 2 decades as I remember. He may but I doubt his doing anything with bios for that board since there is no real demand. He mostly only tweaks bioses for benching rigs. You never know but him being so 'cryptic' I doubt he does any modding of that bios.

RGone...

In software many things stay in beta for perpetuity. Seen a lot of BIOS like this. Most times they have some glitches.

That's a cryptic comment. You work for those jokers or something? Or are you just a bios guru? This board runs dual bios so I'll test it if you do... Maybe

Mr_S is a cryptic sort of guy when it comes to computers. Been that way for nigh 2 decades as I remember. He may but I doubt his doing anything with bios for that board since there is no real demand. He mostly only tweaks bioses for benching rigs. You never know but him being so 'cryptic' I doubt he does any modding of that bios.

RGone...

Yes, I mod bios's. Have done so for many many years on many different boards and platforms. I don't usually mod what I can't test, and very seldom do I use guinea pigs to test my stuff.
Long story about why but in a nutshell, there was a lawsuit over a modded bios and a bricked board. I came out on top but since then I've been more scrutinizing about who uses/gets my stuff.

@ Rgone- yeah..........old dogs very seldom change their ways. I know you understand. :)

Seems kind of implied that you flash at your own risk, that's how all the aftermarket work I've done on my mobile devices gas been. Basically "no body is making you use this firmware so don't *****" is the mentality. Seems to keep the Dev community out of too much trouble. I'm perfectly alright with a house made bios though, I've just seen what kinds of improvements can be made in firmware and got excited that such things might be able to be done for a desktop as well :) if there are any resources for bios molding you could point me at.... I've been wanting to try with a couple of oem boards I have laying around. I've read it's possible, but everything I've read is over my head a bit

Is the OC working?

Yeah, when I set it to stock voltages and everything else off of "auto" I got in @ 3.5ghz and haven't touched the bios since because other hardware is acting up! I think anyone who claims to have a working rig is lying :) also I did clear the cmos before reverting to the f5 bios and turning the "auto" off. I guess I should mark this solved. Tha KS for the help guys!

Back