• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$200 or there about video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jackwebb1970

Registered
Alright I have hit a wall in my knowledge my brother is upgrading (see re-building) his rig we need a new video card for about $200.00 us.
We were looking at a GTX960/4GB but it is to much money then I saw the R9-270X/4GB. so thoughts is their anything better out their for the money or is this good. oh by the way the card it is going to replacing is a GTX750ti/2GB
We would like to keep it under $200.00 if that helps
so any help is must helpful and kind Cheers and happy building :)

Well, what resolution is he gaming on? What is the rest of his system, particularly the power supply? Is he willing to go used? If so, grab a R9 290 (assuming the PSU can support it).

he is running at 1920X1080
the new mobo is a MSI AMD 970 with a FX-8350
with 16GB of RAM
3TB Hard Drive
a Blu-Ray reader (Tried to talk him out of it but hey it's his rig)
and a EVGA G2 850W PSU

he dosen't want to go used cause he got burned and is now gun shy

That's a shame...there are some great deals on that beast of a card here in the classifieds... It will straight ROMP on a 270x/GTX 960... :(

Anyway, the GTX 960 romps a 270x too...they are $200 new, how is that too expensive? EDIT: oh, the 4gb model...

Well, he is in a pickle honestly... I would look at a 280x for $200. That will give you 3GB of ram and solid performance.

the one he is looking at is the
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB Dual-X Video Card
which right now is $180.00 so there is that
but will that card hold up for a two to three years cause the reason we are doing this is he saw the requirements on Arkham Knight and got scared that his Rig wouldn't pass mustard for very much longer so we are upgrading

270X is pretty meh, especially compared to the 280x or 960. An R9 380 is in the $200 range, but it's only 2GB, as well. If he wants more than 2GB in the $200 range brand new, it pretty much HAS to be a 280X.

but will that card hold up for a two to three years cause the reason we are doing this is he saw the requirements on Arkham Knight and got scared that his Rig wouldn't pass mustard for very much longer so we are upgrading
I can't imagine it would, no.

270X is pretty meh, especially compared to the 280x or 960. An R9 380 is in the $200 range, but it's only 2GB, as well. If he wants more than 2GB in the $200 range brand new, it pretty much HAS to be a 280X.

when you say meh what do you mean

Doesn't perform very well for demanding games, especially for the money. Sub-$200, a GTX 750ti is a decent card, and it's $120. But if you're looking at $180 for a 270x, the $200 280X or GTX 960 with less VRAM will perform much better.

But really, it's pretty incredible the types of deals you can get when you buy used. I understand getting burned, but $200 could get you something like an R9 290 or a GTX 970. I even just found a guy selling a 780ti Classified for well under $300.

If your friend is wanting to play Arkham Knight, at this point it is really only worth playing on an nVidia card (beyond the fact that it is completely broken performance-wise right now anyway -- heck, WB pulled sales of it until they can fix it...)

yes but their are several reasons that it could be "meh" like dosen't look has good as other cards, other cards at this price are slightly faster or have more ram, or he isn't a fan but it is to good of a card to outright dismiss it
The context was performance... so that is how I took it. :)

hey what if we SLIed (is that even a word...Probably not) two 750ti's would that give us better performance or should we just get new (or if I can talk him into it used) card

As I said earlier, if you can convince him to go used, a R9 290/290x cannot be beat for around $200. I believe there is one or two in our classifieds (which you will get access to after 100 posts - thanks janus!!)

Last edited:
Back