• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Witcher 3 - randomly nvidia driver crash after ALT-TAB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sew333

Hello. My gpu is Gigabyte Gtx 980 Ti reference, stock clocks. I have a weird problem.

The most weird thing is that Witcher3 crashing randomly display driver after alt-tab. When playing game i have 0 crashes. Only when i alt tab from game to windows, and then i want back again to game ( alt tab )i cant, because i see ( randomly , not always ) black screen and pop up about driver crash ""353.06 stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

Is this related to voltage jump or power fluctuation ?
Something wrong with card or drivers?

rest pc
4790k stock
8gb ram
Corsair 750 RM

Some games just are not able to come swap out of the game like that. W3 may be one of them.

As usual, did you try the latest driver OR roll back if you are on the latest to see if that stops it?

If game doesn't like to be alt+tabbed, it can crashing display driver?

Some games just are not able to come swap out of the game like that. W3 may be one of them.

As usual, did you try the latest driver OR roll back if you are on the latest to see if that stops it?

Halo CE randomly crashes when alt-tabbing, a known bug, I randomly get an exception report from Halo, of course followed by an error message from Windows,
"Halo has stopped working". :(

I suspect a problem with the HAC 2 DLL.

But, never a video driver crash.

Halo CE randomly crashes when alt-tabbing, a known bug, I randomly get an exception report from Halo, of course followed by an error message from Windows,

But, never a video driver crash.

What you think about it? If i am alt-tabbing it can crash display driver.

Witcher 3 also likes to randomly switch between full screen and borderless window when alt-tabbing. Sometimes, the game will glitch, and get stuck in borderless window even if you change the menu option to full screen, and won't actually go back to full screen mode until you restart the game.

I remember Sniper Elite 2 and 3 also having problems with ALT-Tabbing, almost burned a 660ti because the fps went stupid high when i tabbed. Its the game coding itself, drivers never did anything to help.

Randomly when I alt-tab from Witcher3 and try to alt-tab back in my display drivers will crash briefly and the game will disconnect me.

Or randomly when i will just load game from menu ,when game world loaded it will crash display driver at first second. Then it will black screen and driver crash.
And then pop up: " 353.06 nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

During playing game i dont have any crashes. 0 crashes . I can play 24 hours without single crash.

Last edited:
Randomly when I alt-tab from Witcher3 and try to alt-tab back in my display drivers will crash briefly and the game will disconnect me.

Or randomly when i will just load game from menu ,when game world loaded it will crash display driver at first second. Then it will black screen and driver crash.
And then pop up: " 353.06 nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

During playing game i dont have any crashes. 0 crashes . I can play 24 hours without single crash.

Did you see there's a driver which targeted the TDR's (driver has stopped responding and has recovered) in the link I posted? Just making sure as it may fix your alt-tab'ing issue ;)

Forgot to tell folks here that the problem doesn't occur in windowed mode.

Last thing.
But also i have that kind of crashes too.

Usually after loading a savegame witcher 3 will crash DRIVER instantly ( when game world is loaded ). Then it will black screen and driver crash.

So is this related to driver or my card? It happens sometimes after 1 second after i load a savegame and gameworld appear.

Somebody said:"this is purely an issue of overstressed vendor overclocked or faulty hardware."

So my 980 ti reference is faulty? I have on STOCK settings, no oc.

It crashing display driver sometimes after 1-2 seconds after i loaded game, never when playing. I can play 24 hours without single crash. Any ideas?

Last edited:
What you think about it?
Somebody said to me"
That's because when you first load into the game your gpu goes from 0% to 100% load so quickly it can't handle it. It causes it to become unstable. And it doesn't matter if your card is overclocked or not. It can still be unstable not overclocked if you were sent a dud graphics card. Dud's do happen time to time. I would RMA it if you can."

What you think about it, it can be really unstable card? I dont know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back