• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Advanced" Excel Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I am trying to make a spread sheet that you select the material thickness from one list, this dynamically updates the second list call "grade". When the user selects the grade it gives you a part number. Below is a sample the acutal spread sheet that this will be used on will have hundreds of part numbers....

screen shot.png

B1: is a dynamic drop down that picks only the non blank cells in H2:H10
B2: is a dynamic drop down that picks only the non blank cells in I2:I10
B4: is my "answer"

My test data is in D2:F10

H2:H10 is an array formula selecting only the unique Thickness materials

My problem is I cannot figure out a way to make the grade (I2:I10) to show only grades the pertain to the correct thickness, i know this is simple i am just hitting a wall :bang head.

I attached my test excel file. i had to zip it because you cant upload xlsx files.

Thanks your help.

Attachments

• material test.7z
    10.7 KB · Views: 33
Nearly anything can be done in Excel, but most things shouldn't. This is one of them.

If you can do SQL or SQL like queries, it should be pretty easy to do lookups. If you absolutely need something simple, Access is going to do this a lot better, as much as it hurts me to say it.

Doing this in a c# application would be fairly trivial, if you knew the language.

Although I agree with you guys and if I was doing just the lookup I would have just dumped it into access. My problem is I am adding this functionality to a spreadsheet that was developed by someone else and does much more than what I have above. I don't have the time to figure out all of the calculations it is doing and develop another program.

I supposed I could write a wick function in vba using sql for this function

Take a peek at the vlookup function (and lookup tables in general), it should be sufficient for your needs.

Back