• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone else had this problem? cpu voltage jumping to 1.8 volts asus motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kameozero

Registered
motherboard asus x99pro, cpu 5930k,

voltages which i manually set.

1.39.vcore

system agent voltage 1.1v
ram 1.2volts
cpu input voltage 1.9
loadline calibration 8
also my ram is 2400mhz so the cpu strap does not affect or change and max temps are 72c when running aida 64

ok so heres what happend i was tinkering with the cpu voltage i put it up from 1.38 to 1.39 to see if i can get another 100 mhz from the chip now i know 1.39 is alittle high but, its not that high so anyways i hit f10 restarted and boom it says (overclocking voltage error), i go to the bios and my cpu voltage is jumping from 1.6-1.8volts im like damnnn i reloaded the motherboards defaults and it rebooted fine i looked online about it and alot of people are saying its a motherboard issue, and alot are saying its a cpu issue so anybody got any idea which it is?

one last thing ive had 1.43 volts outa the chip before when i was getting it stable at 4.9ghz and it had no problems

There have been one or two others in this section of the forum recently that I believe were using Asus boards and having similar problems. One poster wasn't sure whether it was the board or the CPU causing the problem or whether the board over-volting the CPU damaged the processor.

think im gonna take the board back before it frys my 2 gpus or some ****.... gonna get a asrock this time

Last edited:
Cpu voltage has nothing to do with your cards...it won't fry your cards.

Are you sure it's actually hitting 1.8v? Did you see a dramatic ruse in temps? Did yoy confirm the reading with a multimeter?

Try flashing the bios to the latest version or, if you are already on the latest, an older version.

Are you sure it's actually hitting 1.8v? Did you see a dramatic ruse in temps? Did yoy confirm the reading with a multimeter?

Try flashing the bios to the latest version or, if you are already on the latest, an older version.

Even if the voltage is a false reading, a guy overclocking his CPU needs to know where he is with it.

Of course. ;)

Not saying it shouldn't displayed right, hence the advice to flash the bios to see if that knocks it straight. :)

hey earth dog and yea i know it was booting at 1.8 volts because it said voltage error and was jumping from 1.6 - 1.8 in bios and also sadly i notice it has made my cpu degrade, im literally having to change my voltage up everyday to see the same performance i think its on its way out, but thanks for the info earth dog i am just glad its not taken both my gpus with it im taking both the m board and cpu back to shop tomoro

- - - Updated - - -

and to your last post about bios erm i dont think i was clear on how the voltage jumped it was steady at 1.375 volts for over a week, then one day it said voltage error and was jumping 1.6 to 1.8 volts i quickkly changed it back to default voltage even tho the highest i set it to was 1.375 so i think its a random occurance and that 1.8 voltage has degraded it seems i used to be fully stable at 1.35 volts then next day i needed 1.36 now its on 1.375 and now even 1.375volts is crashing after 5 mins of aida64

well if its not degraded why was it rock solid zero stutter in games and ran aida 64 now it needs a voltage increase of 0.2 to be solid ahh i donno man its not stable anymore when it was rock solid unless the cpu has a burn in time and maybe needs a few more volts after being used for a week or 2 maybe >?

hey earth dog and yea i know it was booting at 1.8 volts because it said voltage error and was jumping from 1.6 - 1.8 in bios and also sadly i notice it has made my cpu degrade, im literally having to change my voltage up everyday to see the same performance i think its on its way out, but thanks for the info earth dog i am just glad its not taken both my gpus with it im taking both the m board and cpu back to shop tomoro

- - - Updated - - -

and to your last post about bios erm i dont think i was clear on how the voltage jumped it was steady at 1.375 volts for over a week, then one day it said voltage error and was jumping 1.6 to 1.8 volts i quickkly changed it back to default voltage even tho the highest i set it to was 1.375 so i think its a random occurance and that 1.8 voltage has degraded it seems i used to be fully stable at 1.35 volts then next day i needed 1.36 now its on 1.375 and now even 1.375volts is crashing after 5 mins of aida64

May be faulty CPU VRM caps on motherboard.
A case of bad caps with polymer caps on a high end Asus is rare.

I mean, it could, but. Something tells me it wasn't quite stable in the first place. Who knows though. :)

ill be fair and if your right when i get a new processor if its the same and still the same problems ill let you know if you was right or not i dont mind being wrong just want my pc working the way it was a week ago

Its not about right or wrong kame... Its just my opinion on what happened from the information you have given us.

I'm not sure how a new CPU will prove whatever it is you are trying to prove either... Why are you getting a new processor in the first place? 4.5GHz @ 1.375 certainly isn't a great overclocking chip, but you can't RMA the chip as it works at stock speeds. Intel doesn't return for having a sub par overclocking CPU.

Last edited:
yea true ill buy a new one next week or something sell the old one i just wanna see the difference in chips also btw u know when the mother board did that 1.8 voltage thing for like 30 secs whats the chances of that damaging the motherboard/phases how would i know ?

- - - Updated - - -

on a totally unrelated question to you earth dog why are the stars in your name green when all the other mods are blue just curious =D

Slim to none...

You wouldn't know really as it is nearly impossible for most people to test and discern if the CPU was borked or the motherboard (without swapping each part anyway). That said, the power area on that board is enough to handle what you threw at it, so don't worry about it.

Jesus.. every time I reply to you there is always something added after the fact.. slow down kame... get your thoughts together man!!! :)

EDIT:
on a totally unrelated question to you earth dog why are the stars in your name green when all the other mods are blue just curious =D
Well, if you take a look at the forum rules you will see the stars and their colors explained. Blue stars are NOT moderators/staff. Green are moderators, red are admins, while blue are senior members.

Last edited:
Back