• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WrkBoot

OK,OK I know what your thinking,maybe not.
I'm looking at monitors because my Hanns-G is starting to mess up(bottom half of the screen is flickering ) I've had this one for somewhere between four or five years and it never gets shut off,O and its 1080P

I'm seeing 144 ,4K and I've been reading that's going to be the way to go if your wanting a nice picture. I play FPS games like fallout,doom,I guess I'm gearing up for the new release
So.... my question is...is it worth spending the money now on the better monitors or wait for the price to settle down?? I know that's really a disunion for myself but.....I just don't know the budget is there but at the same time I don't want to spend unnecessary . I also know that if I go 4K I'll need a better video card and that add to the mix.
Sorry if I misspelled some words

You basically answered your own question and it is more up to you. I personally would recommend 2560x1440 screens instead of 4K just because they are cheaper, more highly available, and you don't have to deal with interface scaling issues nearly as much.

Thanks,that was what I was looking for. What does interface scaling mean? Do you have any recommendations

What's your budget for the monitor? That will be the biggest factor.

You know I would like to keep cost down as much as possible. I would say I'm looking at 27" and bigger,no more the 500.00 if possible? I really haven't thought of a budget because I might have to buy a video card so....,would I need a better card???

Ok... so Ive looked at newegg and from what im seeing is a Benz XL2730Z for 600.00 or a Asus MG279Q for 600.00 <but this said its a wide screen??
They both have AMD (freesync),does that mean it'll work with a AMD video card or what??
I've upped my budget,I'm just wanting the best for my money like everyone. Thanks

More then likely I will be getting a BenzQ XL2730Z for 600.00. Is my GTX770 4g enough to run FPS games?? Fallout4/Deshornerd2/Doom4 are the games I'm looking forward to playing. I don't want to buy a new video card if I don't have to.

If I'll need a new video card it will be a GTX980ti,i'm sure that will handle all the games .
LMK what you think.

Sometimes it's slow here.

I'd like to have the BenQ read some decent reviews of it. The Freesync is AMDs answer to NVidias G-Sync, so if your not using an AMD card you won't be able to use the Freesync part of the monitor, which isn't a big deal as most all the reviews I've read say there something buggy with it when using multiple GPUS. I have AMD GPUs so that's the monitor I want, but 3 of them (what we want and get sometimes never match up). I'd just type in Google that model number and search reviews for the monitor, I try not to read Newegg reviews, I doubt the majority of satisfied customers leave positives reviews cause they are enjoying thie items, but if you think you got the short-end you got to let everyone else know how mad you, lol. I go towards other review sites where at least you can see some more images of the monitor and get a feeling if the reviewer is being unjustly harsh or not.

BenQ makes some decent monitors for gaming use, though if you have an NV card I would get one with G-Sync to make use of that. G-Sync is pretty damn nice to have, you just generally have to pay for it.

At work so can't really go in-depth atm.

*EDIT*

Alright, so there is nothing wrong with the monitor you are looking at, it's a great panel overall, but consider that it IS an AMD Freesync panel, meaning you will not be able to take advantage of that unless you are using an AMD freesync capable card, just like G-Sync working with G-Sync capable NV cards only. For $600, you are getting near the territory of the ASUS RoG Swift and Acer XB270HU BPRZ which is a 2560x1440 144Hz G-Sync IPS panel. The BenQ will obviously be a good panel if you are ok with spending that but being unable to use Freesync, which IMO, is a selling point of that panel and part of it's price being what it is.

I know this hasn't particularly helped you in narrowing down a choice here, but I want to make sure you know what you are getting.

Last edited:
Ok....I'm now looking at G-sync monitors. First is the
Asus Rog swift PG278Q 750.00 then
Aser XB270UH bprz 800.00
I also saw something about a Aser XB270UH Predator.
are the two Aser monitors the same one??

The XB270UH is part of Acer's Predator line. I do not know if they have a coupon right now, but look around for a coupon for the Acer store. The last coupon for that panel made it $710 or $720 direct from the Acer store. But, as mentioned, I am unaware if they have a current coupon.

I just got and setup my new AcerXB27UH. It looks nice so fare.Now I;m waiting on the new wave of GTX980ti to start to show up

Well guys It seems like my new monitor is dumping on the bed. It have green/yellow line running from top to bottom and its very fuzzy. The clock in the task bar isn't readable. The other monitor works fine.I can drag over to the number 2 monitor and all is clear. Just under one year and it went,WOW!!!
I have a 19 Hanns-G that I've have for......to long to remember.

Has anyone RMA'd a big monitor before,just send it back like anything else

Well guys It seems like my new monitor is dumping on the bed. It have green/yellow line running from top to bottom and its very fuzzy. The clock in the task bar isn't readable. The other monitor works fine.I can drag over to the number 2 monitor and all is clear. Just under one year and it went,WOW!!!
I have a 19 Hanns-G that I've have for......to long to remember.

Has anyone RMA'd a big monitor before,just send it back like anything else

Sucks to hear, I've had my XB270HU since they were released and still running great, even have an XB271HU due to how much I liked the XB270HU lol. As for the RMA process, yep, you are going to RMA it just like anything else. Get ahold of Acer via phone or chat, you will be sending to their Texas location I believe.

Also, I would try the monitor with another computer or through an HDMI to Displayport connector via integrated graphics to verify it's not your gpu going. That said, I had heard good things about Acer rushing panels out to customers in regards to customers that were having issues, so let's hope they keep things nice, simple, and easy for you.

Back