• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max FPS Gaming build suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dymoxide

Registered
I am looking to put together a all around perfect Gaming pc for all the future games to come. The budget is around 1600 the peak is 1700 at most. it will be playing on a 1920x1080 Monitor and wont be used for much else besides games browsing and movies etc etc everyday use.

Part description

Montherboard: Z97 Chipset (prob a 1150)
GPU: 980TI or Better if anyone can prove one to be better around the same price
Memory: 16g undecided
PSU: full modular 750 watt is prob enough
CPU: i7 4790k I have heard the i5 gets better fps in some cases but i also heard hyperthreading is starting to take effect in some games (Help)
Storage: will be picking up a 256g ssd and a 1tb hdd
Case: Haf 912 so it doesn't impact budget but is also a good all around case

I am trying to squeeze the maximum performance i possible can out of this money any and all help suggestions and explanations on why i should get this part over that part would be more then awesome

Thanks in advance!

With that budget, no reason not to get the 4790k. I would go with the ASRock Z97 Extreme6, the "AC" version if you want wireless, 16GB of good 1866/2133MHz ram, and an EVGA Supernova G2 750w.

It would look like this.

Even if the i7's Hyperthreading doesn't have an effect, it is still 20% faster base clock speed. You could save some money by getting a 980, since the 980ti is really built for 1440p, not 1080. But, the 980ti will have some ridiculous overhead, and allow you to max out most anything at 1080p for at least a couple of years.

If your budget is $1700 for just the tower, you could realistically go for an X99/DDR4 based build, as well.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($184.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($108.36 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1650.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-29 10:30 EDT-0400

Now, if your budget includes peripherals and monitor, then it's a very different situation.

You forgot the OS Tyerker, and for a single GPU system, X99 is overkill. The higher clock of the 4790K will be of more use for the foreseeable future than 2 more cores, and Z97 is fine for up to 2 GPUs.

The only two real reasons for going X99 are if the software you use can benefit from the extra cores, or if you're gaming/benching with 3-4 GPUs. Otherwise, you end up with a more powerful system, dollar for dollar, with Z97.

You forgot the OS Tyerker, and for a single GPU system, X99 is overkill. The higher clock of the 4790K will be of more use for the foreseeable future than 2 more cores, and Z97 is fine for up to 2 GPUs.

The only two real reasons for going X99 are if the software you use can benefit from the extra cores, or if you're gaming/benching with 3-4 GPUs. Otherwise, you end up with a more powerful system, dollar for dollar, with Z97.
+1

Outside of that, I would get the Supernova G2 instead of the NEX. Similar pricing(ish) but A LOT higher quality (not that the NEX is bad).

+1

Outside of that, I would get the Supernova G2 instead of the NEX. Similar pricing(ish) but A LOT higher quality (not that the NEX is bad).

I'm having a lot of trouble sorting out which of the EVGA's is better than the other, especially with all the silly ways PCPartPicker has them listed. Even PSUs in the same series don't get listed the same. I think I might just say screw it and get a Seasonic Platinum again for my build. Yes, yes, I know it's overkill. I don't care. Rather have super-high-quality overkill than good-quality-adequate.

The NEX line has been out for years and is quite serviceable.

If you want super high quality overkill, get the EVGA Supernova G2. That entire line is high quality, read as good as seasonic and corsair Ax among others, but a lot cheaper.

PCPP is only good for pricing. If you want to know about the PSUs, read Jonnyguru reviews among a few others that are quality PSU reviews.

But the G2 is only GOLD. And PLATINUM is a better metal. How could they possibly compare?!
\sarcasm

LOL.

For those who aren't savvy on the precious medal jargon, they relate to the units efficiency, not necessarily it's quality. One should never go on a PSU's 80+ rating alone.

Back