• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems unlocking gpu voltage control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vukasin

I am trying to overclock my gpu through msi afterburner but it seems like i have no possible way to unlock gpu voltage control. Went to options unlocked it , went to CFG file in folder , changed eula and oc mode set to = 1 and still cant control it . Then i went to evga precision and there i could control it . I managed to put my core from 1070 to arround 1240 mhz with increasing max core voltage from 1.065 to arround 1.137 to find a perfectly stable oc , and even now temps are below 70 C under full load . I wanted to ask is there any way i can increase my voltage quite a bit more over that max in evga precision , cuz i think under 70C is still ok for gpu's since i know they can work perfectly fine under 80 + - . I first thought maybe my bios gpu is locked but its not since i can do it through evga precision , any suggestions ? Or any way i can unlock it in msi afterburner ? ( Low-end gpu )

if u google about it it tells you that u need to open the config/cfg file and set voltages from 0 to 1

- - - Updated - - -

it depends how low end is your gpu and what gpu is it if u have already done the cfg properly then your card may just be to low end to oc what card is it btw ?

Pearl,

If you tried unlocking it through the settings and particularly in the CFG file like you mentioned, it may not be able to unlock in MSI AB. The program needs to have the controller used on the card coded into it like you are seeing EVGA Precison does.

Not sure kame caught any of that...

he said he used evga precision he didnt say his card was evga could be msi or evga

- - - Updated - - -

or non of them lol probably a gainward =dDDDDDDDDDD

You missed the point. ;)

The OP stated that he already tried messing with the config file/EULA...

Went to options unlocked it , went to CFG file in folder , changed eula and oc mode set to = 1 and still cant control it .

It worked in EVGA Precision...
Then i went to evga precision and there i could control it .

So I pointed out (perhaps more accurate is 'alluded to' - I could have been more descriptive instead of forcing readers to read between the lines) that because the OP tried what you suggested before you posted and MSI AB still does not work, that it just may not work for the card he has, no matter what brand, which is not at all relevant anyway. As I said, in order for it to work, the application has to have the right controller programmed and that controller has to be able to control voltage. He can control voltage with Precision, so MSI AB likely isn't aware of the controller on his card.

Last edited:
My brother has posted something similar about month ago , he doesnt get it neither. How a two pretty similar programs have absolute different access to the card. its Gigabyte version of gpu and its a gt 740 ( planing to upgrade soon , so getting max out of it ) . My temps are still doing rly fine so im lookin to oc all the way my temps r good , and i belive i can hit the 1300 if adding just a little bit more of voltage , but i got no idea how to...Tried with oc guru 2 too, and theres a max of 1.137 too , same as evga...

The OP's issue is resolved from ED's post above (just use Precision), but since it was mentioned, afterburner doesn't need the CFG file edit anymore. You can just click on Enable GPU voltage controls in afterburner's settings and (assuming it has the controller logged) it'll enable it. You may have to select 'reference design' in the drop-down box if it's not a MSI card. If it doesn't work still then you have to use a tool that supports the card. Afterburner doesn't have everything included since an OEM may use a custom voltage controller. If no tools work, some cards have locked voltage controls unfortunately although it's not the case for the OP.

i figured out theres no way afterburner can control it , but in this case there is an existing votlage controller on the card , and precision can actually control it but i want to unlock it so i can go even more than max in precision. Tell me if i missed the point here

I haven't used precision but is there an option in settings like in afterburner where you can go beyond official overclocking limits? If not you may need to look into modding the card's BIOS.

Pearl12 here , theres no option like that ( or i dont see it ) Screenshot_4.png . I think that BIOS is the trick i shall mess with . But i have never done things like that ill need some hard help with that stuff , and on google i didnt find anything about bios modding for my card since this one is really rare , and not much ppl have it or even mess with it . I would be really thankful if u assist me with that stuff

Im pretty conservative, but, I wouldn't bios mod... particularly with only one bios... you could bork it and end up with a paperweight...

Is there any option i can backup bios and just reset it if something goes wrong ? practically all i want to do is unlock absolute voltage control in bios , nothing more than that , no mess with it's other settings

That is what you would do, however if the bios is borked, you need to blind flash it or have another card and that in the system...

Its just not worth it (to me) for the average user considering the returns (not much) and the chance of bricking the card

you mean the risk it takes and performance it will give ? In that case , as u say , i wont mess with it. But can you at least tell me how that bios modding looks like ? changing some numbers and options like in notepad or ... ? ( sorry , im still amateur tho )

If BIOS flash fails then you simply put the card in 2nd pcie slot ( need multi pcie mobo ). Enter DOS and force flash it as 2nd gpu. It's usually working.
Cheaper cards have no voltage adjustments except standard values on some cards. BIOS will let you set 1.21V max if I'm right as the same limit is in every GT/GTX 600/700 card. Standard max is 1.15-1.17.
You can save bios with flasher or using GPU-Z but if you don't know what are you doing then better don't do it.

Hello sir , i do have 2 pcie slots , first is x16 , second is x8. But since i never did this , and as i get it from ur words , its some serious things to work with , i will keep up with this volts & performance. Anyways , its just a 100 $ , did for me way more than i could expect. And yea just 1 more question , im planing to upgrade , and im thinking between 7970 and R9 280X ( gigabyte or asus ) , i know 7970 is like rebrand , but is there any suggestions for which i shall stick to ?

If you're buying new I'd go with a 280X or one of the 380/380x's. If you're going used and you have a decent PSU you could look at a 290 instead. Get one with an aftermarket cooler rather than the reference cooler. MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS have transferable warranties.

I saw that 280X's goes for arround 150 $ with warranty arround 1 year , but i found lot of 7970 and 7950 for arround 100 $ - 120 $ without warranty , but the 290 is too strong for my psu , the LC power 600 W ( im shamed ) but i saw people holding 280X very well on it , but i know , that psu is crap . If i get a good chance ill try to catch the 280X with warranty

280x=7970. They are both 250W cards.

The 290 is also a 250W card. If you can run a 280x/7970, you can run a 290.

Oh great then , i am a total nvidia fan but for my budget , amd is best i can get . 290 needs 2x8 pin or 1x6 and 1x8 ?

Back