• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best software for a controller to control windows 7 HTPC without mouse/keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

I built a windows 7 HTPC for the living room. I don't have a keyboard for it nor do I want one for it. Have my xbox360 controller connected to it wireless. Hoping to find software like 'keystick' - enables PC game controllers to emulate a mouse and the keyboard input, so that windows applications and web games can be controlled via controller solely.

But I was looking for a freeware option. keystick has a builtin on-screen keyboard option that you can popup or close out with the click of a controller button. Hoping to find software that has a builten on-screen keyboard or that can popup the Windows on-screen keyboard from the controller.

Thanks in advance.

Have you considered upgrading to Windows 10 and using it in tablet mode when the time comes? It already has a built in on screen keyboard, and there will more then likely be plenty of software to emulate a mouse via other devices, such as a Media Center remote.

I have the win10 technical preview on another test machine and that's still not up to par in my mind. I still want to control the computer from my 360 controller on my tv. Even with win10, I would still need 3rd party software

Windows 7 has a built in on-screen keyboard Start>All Programs>Accessories>Ease Of Access>On Screen Keyboard

Yeah... I have used the win 7 on screen keyboard but its a pain since with using a analog stick as your mouse to navigate and then select your letter. Keysticks has it so once you pop it up you can just use the d-pad to navigate and then select text. Its so much faster... I know I'm getting picky here... but I might just buy Keysticks for the convince. Can't find a work around good enough

Not picky at all. I wasn't aware of the pitfalls of using it with the controller. Seems like a reasonable goal you have there. Have you looked around majorgeeks.com ? They have tons of freeware for almost anything and the downloads are safe. I've used them for years. (downloaded something today , in fact) :)

haha, thanks for the help. I forgot about majorgeeks.com. Looking now to see if they have anything that could work for me.

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but there exists plenty of small HTPC keyboard/remotes that have nubbins or touchpads to control the mouse and allow for typing.

Yeah. I did look into those more HTPC purpose keyboard/remotes.

Get apptui on your cell phone and connect it to the network it will blow your mind

I built a windows 7 HTPC for the living room. I don't have a keyboard for it nor do I want one for it. Have my xbox360 controller connected to it wireless. Hoping to find software like 'keystick' - enables PC game controllers to emulate a mouse and the keyboard input, so that windows applications and web games can be controlled via controller solely.

But I was looking for a freeware option. keystick has a builtin on-screen keyboard option that you can popup or close out with the click of a controller button. Hoping to find software that has a builten on-screen keyboard or that can popup the Windows on-screen keyboard from the controller.

Thanks in advance.

Back