• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any reason to buy the AMD Fury?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
seeing the testing from several sites, looks like it is not even close to GTX 980 TI

here's one of those:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/31.html

to which I am disappointed, I was expecting AMD to turn on the heat in the race.
but all they did, was turn on the heat in the heat profile of the new GPU, which burns like heck.

anyway, I want to see what the expert thinks here.

do we like the AMD FURY?

As of right now, I don't see much reason to buy one over a 980ti given being the same price. If AMD releases drivers that can raise performance by 10+% then it becomes a bit more of a debate (or lowers price by $50+) but for each at $650, the 980ti I think wins for all but the most diehard of AMD buyers.

The Fury hasn't been released yet... the Fury X is what has been released. ;)

What janus said...we also have a pretty big thread discussing it too. :)

Fury X looks interesting but so far there are only beta drivers and reference cards. I would wait till we see any non-reference cards on improved drivers. I also wonder how much slower will be Fury non-X. There is not so big difference in performance between 390x and Fury X ( looking at average FPS, not benchmark results ) so how Fury non-X will fit into that gap.

always excellent to see what the inhouse expert says.

yeah, one of my concerns has always been the drivers.

I am keeping my mind open, afterall, we got benchmarks to be benched, and games to be played. :)

The spread will be how they overclock compared to each other. Amd made some BOLD claims during e3, so we can see if it lives go their hype.

AMD never said that the cards would overclock well, just that the cooler was greatly overpowered for the TDP that the GPU uses (500w vs 250w)

AMD never said that the cards would overclock well, just that the cooler was greatly overpowered for the TDP that the GPU uses (500w vs 250w)

During AMD's E3 press conference they said, and I quote "This card is an Overclockers DREAM". What part is ambiguous here? edit: if they were referring to simply the cooling factor, then thats a huge mistake on their part. They literally spent 10 minutes of their hour long presentation talking about the power and overclocking capabilities of this card.

Thermal headroom bob... I was there :). That statement was preceded by 9 minutes of talk about the cooler.

It was a bit misleading but in my notes I have that written down and later confirmed it with joe in our deep dive.

What's funny is, also in my notes, I have one menton of overclocking. I felt like they didn't talk about it enough!

Back