• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

hey everyone got a quick question, my fiancee is needing a new computer cause her current one is on its way out, however i am not sure if i want to do some research and see whats good and build it that way, or go to dell and spec it out how i want it and get it that way, what do yall think i should do?

she does 3d modeling and photoshop and does bitcoing trading aswell as the game second life and i do some gaming myself and am looking to play the upcoming fallout 4

How about you give us a budget and what parts you need, and we can make suggestions. Sounds like doing that will be better than the 'Dell'...

How about you give us a budget and what parts you need, and we can make suggestions. Sounds like doing that will be better than the 'Dell'...

$1,000 last time i built it for about $990

EDIT her current computer is a 1st gen i5 quad with 16 gigs of ram and a amd 6000 series video card and this time around i dont care if the vid card is amd or nvidia

Does this budget include things like mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc., or is this simply for the desktop itself?

she has software she bought, will it play nice with later windows, 7-8.1? does she work in unix?

Does this budget include things like mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc., or is this simply for the desktop itself?
just the desktop, i have a case and a 750 watt power supply aswell as mouse keyboard etc
she has software she bought, will it play nice with later windows, 7-8.1? does she work in unix?
yes all of it will as i only use windows 7

Many of the intended uses for this build suggest higher end components. Another question that is relevant is will this computer be overclocked or left at stock frequencies and voltages?

Many of the intended uses for this build suggest higher end components. Another question that is relevant is will this computer be overclocked or left at stock frequencies and voltages?

stock i never overclock

If the computer is not going to be overclocked there is no sense in going for the more expensive "k" chip. They don't need a core unlocked CPU. I would go for the 4790 non k.

It could be worth that... but not really in most games or single card applications.

I just mention it because that's a big jump compared to the normal K/non-K differences.
Usually you're paying for the unlock, but this time you actually pay for base speed too.

If the computer is not going to be overclocked there is no sense in going for the more expensive "k" chip. They don't need a core unlocked CPU. I would go for the 4790 non k.

Besides the fact you can typically find them within 10$ of each other, and the k is 10% faster... sure?

Performance scaling isn't linear like that, but the underlying point remains. :)

Last edited:

Those all look like reusable parts to me. I haven't seen 1066MHz RAM in awhile, but it's not like there's anything wrong with it. Is it worth $100 to grab the same amount of RAM at a higher speed? I'm not sure. If that's the difference between a nicer graphics card or not, the money would probably be better spend on the graphics card.

I would throw that stuff with a 4790K on an ASRock Z97 Extreme3 or 6 depending on how much sound quality matters to you, the EXT6 has the best. The 6 also has dual M.2 slots and more SATA ports. Otherwise the features are pretty similar. Grab a 970 and an SSD, HDD and you should be good to go, probably way under budget too.

I would throw that stuff with a 4790K on an ASRock Z97 Extreme3 or 6 depending on how much sound quality matters to you, the EXT6 has the best. The 6 also has dual M.2 slots and more SATA ports. Otherwise the features are pretty similar. Grab a 970 and an SSD, HDD and you should be good to go, probably way under budget too.

sound i dont really care about but sata ports i do, she has 4 hard drives currently in the old system and thats counting the boot drive aswell

Back