• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC 4690k All of the sudden failing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Datsniper26

Hello there

Apologies for/if i posted in the wrong section.

Ill try to make this as short as possible.

Current RIG

Asus asus maximus vii hero
8GB ram
GTX 980 ti SC ACX
i5 4690k OC 4.4 WC
Wins 8.1
xfx black edition 850 w psu

Alright so i had my CPU OC to 4.4 for a year and a half with out zero issues never crash on anything ever.

All of the sudden I'm crashing on any game i play after over 30 minutes of play, game crashes sound continues for about a minute then stop but i cannot do alt+tab or crtl+alt+del keyboard and mouse are dead, have to pushed down the power button.

The strangest thing was one of my SSDs was complexity gone where i have my games, i restarted pc and it came back, a bit of scare there.

I just crashed typing this.....had to redo everything..again after 40 minutes of using the PC now.

I even crashed earlier today watching a 30 minute showed crashing at the 25th minute mark...

I had to go back to stock speeds because i was getting WHEA error... i even tried to OC to 4.0 still WHEA error, so for now stock speeds seem to work.

I debunk the 980 ti, i ran that last night with Furmark for 1 hour no crash which is odd, but today it seems to be getting worse, like i said earlier PC just crashed while typing this....

Im guessing PSU slowly dying? it is 4 years old

Or anything else?

Never had a PSU died on me before so i dont know what to look for.

One of the most strangest thing was 3 days ago while playing GTA v after 20 min of play i tried to shoot but no shooting animation happened nothing just aiming and running around, then i tried to get inside a car and the "car animation" got stuck with the character holding the door handle...then crashed....

I was going to test playing games with stock speeds, but after the PC just crashed on me while typing this its telling me that something is very wrong.

I give up. lol

Sorry for the late response...I saw this last night and thought I replied... I must have walked away and didn't post it. :(

1. The PSU is a quality model. Unless something in it is dieing, you have plenty of power.
1a. To confirm/deny its the PSU swap it out and use another if you have one laying around.
2. When you say 'crashed' what do you mean? BSOD? Restart? I see you mention WHEA...
3. Have you checked temperatures of the GPU and CPU when gaming?
4. Have you updated the BIOS on your motherboard to the latest?
5. Fresh OS install?
6. Updated or rolled back your GPU drivers?

Sorry for the late response...I saw this last night and thought I replied... I must have walked away and didn't post it. :(

1. The PSU is a quality model. Unless something in it is dieing, you have plenty of power.
1a. To confirm/deny its the PSU swap it out and use another if you have one laying around.
2. When you say 'crashed' what do you mean? BSOD? Restart? I see you mention WHEA...
3. Have you checked temperatures of the GPU and CPU when gaming?
4. Have you updated the BIOS on your motherboard to the latest?
5. Fresh OS install?
6. Updated or rolled back your GPU drivers?

Not a problem i was just wondering why i was being ignored :/

I dont have another PSU, however when i bought the 980 ti i had a code for 50% on a EVGA power supply, i was going to upgrade anyways.

Well PC just crashes no error no bsod no nothing, i have to manually pushed down the power button.

GPU load temp is at 50c to 60c with fan fixed at 50%. CPU load while gaming max was 55c

Yes that was the first i did was to update bios.

I had OS installed since last year.

I tried rolling back and still same issue.

However today pc seems to be healthy again, i did a sfc scannow last night and it fixed some issues, maybe that was it. ill report back later today when i play more

Well PC just crashes no error no bsod no nothing, i have to manually pushed down the power button.
So it froze and had to be POR (Power On/Reset)... gotcha.

GPU load temp is at 50c to 60c with fan fixed at 50%. CPU load while gaming max was 55c
All within reason!

Yes that was the first i did was to update bios.
Ok... you said you had this system for at least 7 months ("OS installed since last year), are there new BIOSs that are out? ;)

However today pc seems to be healthy again, i did a sfc scannow last night and it fixed some issues, maybe that was it. ill report back later today when i play more
Hopefully it was. If not, at this point, I would suggest updating the bios (though I doubt that will do anything), and assuming that doesn't do anything, perhaps its time for a fresh OS install... something isn't right...

The symptoms you describe could be caused by a multitude of things, both hardware and software. What is your CPU core voltage set to? How about attaching some screen shots of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Use the Go Advanced button to attach scrreenies directly to your posts. We prefer that to links.

Last edited:
I think i know what the problem is.

I played AC unity for hours and never crashed, AC unity is installed in my other newer SSD.

BO2 and BAK are installed in the other SSD, what i think is that the SSD is dying while playing causing the crashes. I called Crucial and im out of warranty but they did advise me to update the firmware see if that helps. IF not ill buy a different SSD

Back