• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some folks are reporting a 3.8 Ghz wall on G3258!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I could imagine that many are from lack of knowledge on how to oc a chip. but would bet that many just wont do much over 3.8. The one I have will run at 4.0 but isnt stable at that speed. for gaming it has to be at 3.8 to keep the bluescreens away

dunno man, does seem the earlier ones do alot better now. i love mine, i said if it doesnt do at least 4ghz its getting replaced.

If it's not running above 4GHz then something isn't right with the chip itself. I bet you can even make RMA for that. As I said some time ago I had a chance to test 15 ( or more ) G3258 and all of them could make at least 4.4GHz on air at about 1.35V. Most could make some more and best chips could run at about 4.7 ~1.35V. I was checking these chips since release everytime someone was ordering one for work ( this K version was cheaper than a regular locked pentiums at similar clock ) so were new and old batches. Last one has 2 months or something and so far is the best.

My last 3258 has maybe 2 months and went up to 5.8GHz without problems.

woomack you should specify you were likely on minimum Single stage right?

btw bart sometimes you crack me up man.

Clock for clock, they are the exact same cpu. If it's heavily multi threaded, I'd imagine the 4u70k/4790k would still eat it out pretty easy. 2 threads vs 8 tbreads...

5.8Ghz is not a 24/7 clock. That was likely ln2 or another extreme method.

I would still be interested in knowing how it benches. I seem to remember Intel saying
at one point they were planning on pushing the Netburst Pentium architecture out to 5 GHz or so.

What do you want know? It's been benched thousands of times!

...or are you saying a 5.8Ghz g3258 vs a stock 4770/4790k? I'd imagine you can find just that on hwbot where we bench these things.

I would still be interested in knowing how it benches. I seem to remember Intel saying
at one point they were planning on pushing the Netburst Pentium architecture out to 5 GHz or so.
umm, you do know that netburst is P4, this is a completely different arch. dont get caught up in the names of the models, this is so far removed from Netburst arch it isnt funny. current arch has more in common with socket 370 Pentuim 3's then netburst in anyway.
What do you want know? It's been benched thousands of times!

...or are you saying a 5.8Ghz g3258 vs a stock 4770/4790k? I'd imagine you can find just that on hwbot where we bench these things.
i dunno, he did say netburst, you got any old P4's laying around that do 5+ghz to bench?

in the end, at the time of core 2, with a clock speed of 2.4ghz stock. it would take a stock clock of 4ghz on P4(aka netburst) to have the same performance as core 2. basically all current cpus have been derived from P3's. with different layouts to cores/l1/l2 and execution units/FPU's, core 2 then became first gen i's with IMC and large L3 caches with a big reduction in L2.

I read an early roadmap for the Pentium Netburst architecture in which Intel wanted to get much faster clock speeds out of them (as in >> 4 GHz).

I'd still be interested in benchmarks of this "Pentium" g3258 @ 5.8 GHz. vs. 6 or 8 core CPU's at their nominal frequencies.

I read an early roadmap for the Pentium Netburst architecture in which Intel wanted to get much faster clock speeds out of them (as in >> 4 GHz).

I'd still be interested in benchmarks of this "Pentium" g3258 @ 5.8 GHz. vs. 6 or 8 core CPU's at their nominal frequencies.

There's this site, it's called HWBot, it lists benchmarks for all kinds of hardware. Go there and compare.

5.8Ghz G3258 -http://hwbot.org/submission/2612084_gumanoid_cinebench___r15_pentium_g3258_444_cb

3.8Ghz (200Mhz UNDERclocked) 4790K - http://hwbot.org/submission/2757624_walhalla_cinebench___r15_core_i7_4790k_671_cb

3.6 GHz (100MHz overclock) 5930K - http://hwbot.org/submission/2882650_brf42_cinebench___r15_core_i7_5930k_1075_cb

If it's heavily multi threaded, I'd imagine the 4770k/4790k would still beat it out pretty easy. 2 threads vs 8 threads...

:thup:

That story will remain the same against any benchmark that can use all the threads of the CPU you want to put it against. That CPU would have to be in the 6.6GHz+ range to beat the 4790K slightly underclocked... 6.2GHz its not there...

Last edited:

intel planned for it to max out for stock at 4ghz but later when they were working with it. they found the amount of heat and power needed it was not feasible to do for stock consumer or server markets. multi threaded apps will always favor 4 cores at even say 3ghz vs a dual core even at 5.8ghz. even more so when you factor in they that most if not all quads have HT. i still think the G3258 when oc'd is still a good choice for a gamer on a very limited budget, that wants to stick to intel.

Maybe this is the reason many are getting poor overclocks with the G3258 of late. According to this http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041761574 Microsoft (at Intel's request) issued a patch for Windows 7/8/8.1 that limits the overclock possible on a G3258. It states that this code has been hardwired into Windows 10. I ran across this because I was unable to complete the install of Windows 10 on a client's machine that had an overclocked G3258 CPU installed.

Last edited:
even more so when you factor in they that most if not all quads have HT.

I'm surprised nobody said anything, but not all (or even most) quad core CPUs have HT. Only two current CPU families have it: the Core i3 and Core i7. The Core i3 family are all dual cores, and the Core i7 family is quad and up. The Core i5 family (the most popular gaming CPU family right now) are all quad core CPUs with no HT.

Well, its around half of them, no? Clearly not all of them with the i5 line which doesn't, period. But the i7 (non mobile) line are all quads with HT, right?

Maybe this is the reason. According to this http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041761574 Microsoft (at Intel's request) issued a patch for Windows 7/8/8.1 that limits the overclock possible on a G3258. It states that this code has been hardwired into Windows 10. I ran across this because I was unable to complete the install of Windows 10 on a client's machine that had an overclocked G3258 CPU installed.
That's just... wow... putting a glass ceiling on an unlocked CPU?? :screwy:

That is interesting though because when I overclocked one, with LN2 under W7, I hit 6Ghz. I am pretty sure that OS was fully patched... in fact, I am running it now on a 4790K... I will have to fire that system up and check to see if I have that KB (KB3064209) mentioned in that thread.

ED, did you follow the link dealing with ASRock's workaround? Apparently, ASRock built a workaround for this OC limiting patch issue with something they put into the bios of their Z87/Z97 boards and here's the impressive part, the ASRock tech who responded to the postings in that forum stated they would build a custom bios for their customers using other chipsets on ASRock boards. Now that's customer service! So by chance if you are running the G3258 on an ASRock Z board you won't have this problem anyway.

No as I thought it was in regards to W10. They created a bios to get around W10 install...

**Update #2**

THE ONLY MANUFACTURE TO CREATE A WORK AROUND IS ASROCK SO FAR.... SEE THREAD HERE (ASrock website with custom BIOS update work around). ASrock actually has listened to its forum users, and created individual BIOS updates for people so they can install Win 10, and USE both cores of the G3258...

If its deeper than that, I didn't go after it as it worked a few months ago (presumably before that came out?).

EDIT: Dug deeper...
Greetings, This is ASRock Technical Department.

The Microsoft released an update "KB3064209" to update Intel Microcode.
The new microcode will cause the system cannot overclock except Z-series platform.
On your case, if you would like to keep the overclocking function on H97 platform, please use Windows 7 or 8.1 without install the update "KB3064209".
If you would like to use Windows 10, we will build a BIOS that update Microcode for you.

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD

Back