• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some folks are reporting a 3.8 Ghz wall on G3258!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

Is this becoming more common with recent G3258s? I saw some posts at NewEgg about a wall that happens to be at 3.8 Ghz.

We have seen forum comments to the effect that the G5328s being produced now seem often to not overclock as well as they did in the early production days. The theory is that as Haswell production techniques have improved there are fewer CPUs that fail to make the grade for the more expensive chips and the ones that do are real duds. Having said that I would be surprised that many are so bad that they won't do more than 3.8.

I ramped the one I bought about a month ago to 4.0Ghz on auto out of the box. Didn't touch anything, just set multiplier to 40 and pressed F10, and it tested stable... I've knocked it back down to 3.2 for the time being, until I have time to play with it... Auto put voltage a a rather high 1.200v and I'm sure I could bring it lower (or frequency higher) if I actually played with it more... Just don't have time to mess with it right now...

My last 3258 has maybe 2 months and went up to 5.8GHz without problems.

Clock for clock, they are the exact same cpu. If it's heavily multi threaded, I'd imagine the 4u70k/4790k would still eat it out pretty easy. 2 threads vs 8 tbreads...

5.8Ghz is not a 24/7 clock. That was likely ln2 or another extreme method.

The memory controller for the 4690k/4790k is rated for 1600 mhz while that of the G5328 is rated for 1333 mhz.

I still run 2400 9-11-10 on my G3258.
And on the one before it.
And neither of them did lower than 4.5GHz XTU on ambient.

RJARRRPG why are you taking stock in Newegg reviews about overclocking?
How about... an overclocking forum instead?

I have one that struggles at anything over 4.0. that is on air but not stock air, has the coolermaster cooler

The memory controller for the 4690k/4790k is rated for 1600 mhz while that of the G5328 is rated for 1333 mhz.
I ran 2666 with zero issues. Not terribly concerned about its IMC rating. ;)

They are the exact same CPU sans some cores...its Haswell architecture which is what I was saying. There is ZERO clock for clock (IPC) differences. 5.8Ghz @ 2 cores/threads will likely not make up for 8 threads in a heavily threaded application. That question is a curious one as 5.8Ghz isn't remotely a 'daily' overclock.

Last edited:
I still run 2400 9-11-10 on my G3258.
And on the one before it.
And neither of them did lower than 4.5GHz XTU on ambient.

RJARRRPG why are you taking stock in Newegg reviews about overclocking?
How about... an overclocking forum instead?

I was taking the reviews as a possible sign of many new batches being real duds.

I started suspecting many if not most 2015 batches or batches since the forth or third quarter of 2014 being majorly duddy.

I started getting worried that folks would have to get a pre-September of 2014 batch (or roughly that), if not earlier.

(Possibly needed to get a June of 2014 batch or earlier)

And I'm glad yours isn't duddy like that!

Last edited:
My whole point is that the vast majority of Newegg reviews crying about not breaking 38x multiplier probably know little to nothing about OCing.

My whole point is that the vast majority of Newegg reviews crying about not breaking 38x multiplier probably know little to nothing about OCing.

Yep, I can see that alright. I sure hope that, just was afraid that I was wrong. ;)

Yep, I can see that alright. I sure hope that, just was afraid that I was wrong. ;)

You shouldn't need to know much at all about overclocking to get the g5328 past 3.8 ghz. If it won't go considerably higher than that just by raising the multiplier alone and leaving other stuff on Auto then it's not a good chip to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait when did intel start making overclockable i3s?

As ED said, it's not an i3. No HT.

I feel qualified as an OC bench team member. Mine is really lame and has been since brand new. I know its not the other equipment, as I can oc my 4790k to 5.5ghz on the same goods

Back