• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on new build please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stevedck

My current system is getting a little, well, elderly. Should be good for a while but planning the new one. I'm starting now with chassis and watercooling. Waiting for new Intel releases.

So the new one:
1) Thinking Thermaltake core X2 (micro ATX) case with 2 or 3 360 rads. Will 2 be enough?
2) Probably an i7 4xxx and a 980 ti or whatever replaces it next spring. Opinions? I'm open to the move to x99, but ouch the price!
3) This will be a silent/very quiet gaming system that will see minor school stuff, some surfing, and bill pay/household stuff. All adult use.
4) Monitor will be a 3440x1440 ultra wide 34". This is the other reason I'm waiting on the full build. These should get cheaper in the next 6 months with all the new ones being released.

Single Loop? Short tower res L side of case-pump-Graphics Card-360-(Pump?)-CPU-360-back to res? Maybe add in chipset/MOSFET?

First ever H2O rig. Any help appreciated. Thanx! Steve.

- - - Updated - - -

The plan is to start with getting the case and cooling loop stuff so I can kinda start planning everything out. Also plumbing is not an issue, I did HVAC for years. Thanx, Steve.

Wow slow down there Steve
First off, when consider a full custom water cooling set up, most if not all people start out with a full or a mid tower case so they can have some extra room for all the water cooling parts and water loop.

Second:, the new Haswell refresh CPU (i7 4790k, i5 4690k....) are pretty fast when overclocking(but that's another story)

Third: if you want a powerful gaming pc, go with a GTX 980ti or AMD R9 390X

Fourth: both the GTX 980ti and R9 390X will support 4k resolution.

Forgot to ask, what's your budget for this build?

Hmm. I thought the x2 would be plenty big as it has more room on paper anyway than my cm 690 mid tower. I saw a couple other builds water cooled in the same case. And if I run out of room I can always stack 2. It works with my desk space.

The CPUs you mention are on the short list but I'm kinda waiting to see what is coming down the pipe as well.

The ultrawide monitor I'm looking at will be about half the pixels of 4k, so a 980 ti should give me a little future proofing.

Budget: negotiable. I'd like to get the cooling and case handled for under 1k. Call it another 2k for mobo, cpu, RAM, HDD's 3TB x2, and prolly a 850w gold power supply. That should handle just about everything. I already have a nearly new intel 240 SSD and new samsumg ssd sitting here.

Thanks!

Stevedck, when are you planning on building this? You mentioned what ever replaces the I7 and 980 ti in the spring? Is that when you plan on building?

I'd honestly wait for skylake. Its not too far down the pipeline. I'am hearing its coming out a week after Windows 10 release / Q3.

As for the GPU, the 980Ti should be enough as it was released not too long ago.

Definitely not until January. Probably tax return time. But I want to start gathering up case, water cooling, HDD's. Things that will not change in the next 6 months. Just getting loop figured out and mostly done ahead of time seems like it would help a ton when it comes time to pull the trigger on the rest of the components.

So I need help with the loop shopping list I guess. 2x 360s: brand? Thin ones I'm guessing. What fans are quiet with enough static pressure? Pumps? Would like a vertical reservoir if I can make it work with the layout, and I think I can.

Maybe reputable brand suggestions or websites? Are 2x 360s enough to stay quiet? There is room in the case for more rads if need be. Just need to figure out what and where...after I order it.

Performance-pcs is your one stop shop.

Rads- Black Ice, Alphacool, XSPC, Swiftech are the ones I'd take a look at. Make sure you pay attention to the FPI. The lower the FPI the slower the fans can operate for a quieter experience.

Fans - Budget = Swiftech Helix120s (There are a few others I can't think of atm.) Premium= AP53s, EK Vandars, Noiseblocker B12 eLoops (Low noise with excellent static pressure)

Pump- Swiftech MCP35X or MCP50X or D5 (D5s are quiter but DDCs are smaller and have a higher head pressure.)

Reservoirs- Not sure what will fit in that case as I'd advice on searching similar water cooled builds in that case and see what rads are used as well to give you an idea what you're playing with.

Tubing- PrimoChill Advanced LRT (Your choice of color)

Fittings- Budgeted= Barbs/Clamps Premium= Bitspower Compression Fittings

Again, look at other builds and see which size works best in that case.

CPU Blocks= Swiftech or XSPC or EK

GPU Blocks= EK

There are a few other companies out there like Koolance, AquaComputers and Heatkillers for CPU/GPU blocks in general.

The choices above are just my personal preference.

I will say if you're not ready to build the rig and loop, I'd would wait and just have a wish list of all the items till the time comes.

Hope this helps.

Definitely not until January. Probably tax return time. But I want to start gathering up case, water cooling, HDD's. Things that will not change in the next 6 months. Just getting loop figured out and mostly done ahead of time seems like it would help a ton when it comes time to pull the trigger on the rest of the components. ...

I would suggest that you start out with a case, the Thermaltake core X2 is ok but their product are not very reliable and their customer support is below average.

A few good case suggestion

And you may want to read this before you start pull out that credit card :)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...Water-Cooling-Your-PC-***-READ-THIS-FIRST-***

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/628092-The-Ultimate-Water-Cooling-Thread

Performance-pcs is your one stop shop.

Rads- Black Ice, Alphacool, XSPC, Swiftech are the ones I'd take a look at. Make sure you pay attention to the FPI. The lower the FPI the slower the fans can operate for a quieter experience.

Fans - Budget = Swiftech Helix120s (There are a few others I can't think of atm.) Premium= AP53s, EK Vandars, Noiseblocker B12 eLoops (Low noise with excellent static pressure)

Pump- Swiftech MCP35X or MCP50X or D5 (D5s are quiter but DDCs are smaller and have a higher head pressure.)

Reservoirs- Not sure what will fit in that case as I'd advice on searching similar water cooled builds in that case and see what rads are used as well to give you an idea what you're playing with.

Tubing- PrimoChill Advanced LRT (Your choice of color)

Fittings- Budgeted= Barbs/Clamps Premium= Bitspower Compression Fittings

Again, look at other builds and see which size works best in that case.

CPU Blocks= Swiftech or XSPC or EK

GPU Blocks= EK

There are a few other companies out there like Koolance, AquaComputers and Heatkillers for CPU/GPU blocks in general.

The choices above are just my personal preference.

I will say if you're not ready to build the rig and loop, I'd would wait and just have a wish list of all the items till the time comes.

Hope this helps.

:clap: :thup:
Oh forgot to mention that the Thermaltake core X2 support 250mm tube reservoir.

Last edited:
Back