• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The White Elephant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
OK - Just finished a proj and trying to concentrate on actually using it and getting into some benching, but... I just found this buried in the garage!!!!!!

WhiteElephant.jpg

I kinda have an idea what it may be, but not entirely certain. Been wrapped up like that for at least 5 years. Totally forgot about it until I got into the sickness here.

What could it be? A case to hack up at least. Based on what I find I may be looking for some suggestions.

Free SATA cable to best guess before I get around to unwrapping it. Hints: I am pretty sure it was purchased new in 2008ish, that it is probably HP and possibly a server!!??

Hurry, I don't know how long I can wait to open it!

Cheers All!

Thanks a lot ATM. Had to Google that one. Been out of College for quite a while. LOL

So according to Schrodinger there is something and nothing. Also, according to Quantum Superposition any guess would technically be correct until the actual act of observation.

So I'll guess there is a Hamster carrying a Bible(King James Version Naturally) in one hand and a book on Quantum Theory in the other.

Thanks a lot ATM. Had to Google that one. Been out of College for quite a while. LOL

So according to Schrodinger there is something and nothing. Also, according to Quantum Superposition any guess would technically be correct until the actual act of observation.

So I'll guess there is a Hamster carrying a Bible(King James Version Naturally) in one hand and a book on Quantum Theory in the other.

I didn't learn that in school :rofl:

WhiteElephant Unwrapped

Christ on a Bicycle!!!

Holy Mother of the Cleatus Cousins!!!

Its a HP Proliant ML115 G5 Server!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0602.JPG

This was a surprise for me! Short story long, I purchased this for my x-beast to be a law office server. I thought she still had it but obviously, I err, uh, err must have taken it with me.

I haven't fired it up yet. I believe it has win 2003 Server, which is a total POS. So I think the first order of business is an new OS. I also believe that is a SAS card in there?

Here are the general specs:
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/...docId=emr_na-c01486193&docLocale=en_US#N10010

My first inclination is to abide by the Rodeo Clown Oath, and mod/max this out till it burns up. Then use the case and whatever else may be reusable for another round.

Hey bob! You are definitely on of my Ohmmies!

So, were do I go from here? Any suggestions?

Alvederzein

BTW, Windows Server 2003 is so *not* a total POS. XP x64 is based on it and that would be the OS to use unless you upgrade the RAM. (to 5 GB or more)

If it's got 4 GB or less, I would change some DDR 2 sticks.

And anything Vista and later may have non-existent driver support.

Well My first order of buisiness would be to fire that baby up and make sure no chipmunks made it into a residence.

Then check the BIOS of OC-ability!

RJ- hmm, OK. I think my memory is slightly skewed as to my POS opinion. As memory serves, it was all the Office/backend/sharepoint/etc. that was the POS, and the machine, during its brief tenure ran great. So, I will retract my original statement ;) I will work on removing all that crap once I get the machine up.

and Yes, fire it up! working on that. What might the BIOS tell me regarding "OC-ability", what would I look for?

Chipmunks? Did you see how that thing was wrapped up!?

Hasta Ahora...

You need to check if the CPU multiplier and/or the FSB are adjustable. Being an HP it's doubtful.

Bios Settings

ahh, the doubting BlayLocks of the Universe never knew of Gomer Pyle. Suurrrprise, Surrprise, Suurprise!

But I guess Gomer Pyle never knew of Schrodinger, ... or did he?

WE_bios.jpg

So to this Rookie, it seems we have some setting to work with, but FSB settings are disabled?!

And hey RJARRRGGHHH, can you clarify one of your statement for me please. You say

RJARRRPCGP said, "XP x64 is based on it and that would be the OS to use unless you upgrade the RAM"

DO you mean Server 2003 or XP would be the way to go.?!!?? It has 2GB right now. If i can find the RAM I will MAX it out.

Anyway, seem to have potential for something. But that could be anything until we actually know, err, wait. It's something that actually right now is nothing? oh, oh oh, I remember! Its that, er, the potential for nothing or something is the same as my imposed juxtification? Well, whatever. It will be something! ah, not wait it is something.....(fade out mumbling to myself)

Salud

Ah, yes, sorry. That screen shot did not show all the values. It goes to x11 at 2200MHz, Sir. The max voltage is as shown, 1.3V.

I was also wondering, Is the "Able to change Frequency", related to the FSB settings? If so, and it is "YES" why are they disabled?

Cheers

So you can only run up to the stock multiplier, booo :(

The only FSB thing I see in the pictures is listing the CPU spec.

Hey knoober, Thanks!

As a proud owner of HPHACK (my production machine), I am familiar with the HP support. Actually once I actually log in to HP SUpport from the box it should tell me everything available and options to install.

So that being said, before I go there. I still need to make the decision to stick with the WIN2003 Server, or throw a copy of XP Pro on there. And I don't have the wisdom to make the correct decision. I do think I have the knowledge to realize I need to go ahead and do all the firmware/bios type updates from HP first. I'll work on that as I do have the box connected. It did "ONE" MS update when it finally figured out it was online?!

The only reason I'd be able to think of to do all the updates before you change the OS (or not as you may choose) is because you have a running system now and if you start making changes that old hardware might get cranky. I got an old HP machine that was real fun like that. I updated the bios so I could upgrade the proc then it wanted a "microcode" update to run the new proc and it turns out they half assed the update and I had to use a software workaround to get full speed from my new cpu! It was an adventure, and when I saw the support url, I started having flashbacks...... Reading and updating and a dos flash tool and microcode.... Our my! Have fun though :)

^^ this keep a copy of ALL drivers and BIOS you download. Keep in mind neither OS is supported my M$ now. You may also be able to do some BIOS tweaking to "unlock" the FSB, but that's a longer story.

Just did some research and the Athlon X2 4450b has a stock freq of 2300Mhz (11.5x200FSB). So you'll need all 11.5 just to run stock.

Back