• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The White Elephant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ahh, the doubting BlayLocks of the Universe never knew of Gomer Pyle. Suurrrprise, Surrprise, Suurprise!

But I guess Gomer Pyle never knew of Schrodinger, ... or did he?

View attachment 165908

So to this Rookie, it seems we have some setting to work with, but FSB settings are disabled?!

And hey RJARRRGGHHH, can you clarify one of your statement for me please. You say

DO you mean Server 2003 or XP would be the way to go.?!!?? It has 2GB right now. If i can find the RAM I will MAX it out.

Anyway, seem to have potential for something. But that could be anything until we actually know, err, wait. It's something that actually right now is nothing? oh, oh oh, I remember! Its that, er, the potential for nothing or something is the same as my imposed juxtification? Well, whatever. It will be something! ah, not wait it is something.....(fade out mumbling to myself)

Salud

XP x64 is the way to go.

And that BIOS screen looks like it's unlocked. You may be using the wrong keys on the keyboard.

It's unlocked, but it can only be set at stock values and lower.
That's they way it's supposed to be unless there is a Black Edition or FX processor installed. All AMD CPU's are multi unlocked downward.
If no FSB support, find the PLL chip and check software options.

Mr. Scott!! Thank you for chiming in.

Do tell please. PLL chip? I looked it up at still wasn't sure. But while doing that I found:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon 64 X2 4400+ - ADO4400IAA5DO (ADO4400DOBOX).html

I am pretty sure this is the chip in question. Sadly it does state:

"Sorry, overclocking information for the microprocessor is not available at this time."

Which doesn't mean it doesn't exist?! Anyway, still looking for some inspiration on what to do...

That's not the right one Swart. Re-read post #20 of this thread. I'd linked the correct one back there.

Mr. Scott!! Thank you for chiming in.

Do tell please. PLL chip? I looked it up at still wasn't sure. But while doing that I found:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon 64 X2 4400+ - ADO4400IAA5DO (ADO4400DOBOX).html

I am pretty sure this is the chip in question. Sadly it does state:

"Sorry, overclocking information for the microprocessor is not available at this time."

Which doesn't mean it doesn't exist?! Anyway, still looking for some inspiration on what to do...

The PLL is the clock generator on the motherboard. If you get the number off of it, software might be able to be found that supports it. SetFSB for example.

Took a few minutes and made a little progress with the preliminary inspection. Stripped out SmallBusiness Server and got it bare bones right now. It is actually quite snappy!

Mr. Scott, some assistance in identifying this chip please Sir? I looked for the obvious candidates...

SE-SM4210-P01 - Server Engine Baseboard management controller??

bcm5722kfb1g - Broadcom Integrated Gbe controllerr.

Am I missing something:
IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

And for the interested..
WhiteGhost.JPG

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheers!

The PLL will be beside a crystal oscillator.
It's old but this page shows how to find the PLL.

Give us a pic of it when you find it :)

PLL generator is not visible in your pics. It'll be around the socket areas.

Better pic of your board bare and I'll find it for you. :)

Gentlemen! Many thanks for your help here, but...

err, uh, please confirm this is the case for me as I find nothing. Thank goodness I can follow directions and actually read stuff...

old "this page" said:
The PLL of NVidia Chipsets is included in the south bridge. So there is no PLL to find. NVidia southbridges are all supported.

And I noticed CPUZ tells me:

WhiteGhost.JPG

This is good, right?

Assuming it is good, where do I go from here? Any direction is vastly appreciated.

Salud

Well there's a sure fire way to try... Grab SetFSB, or CPUfsb and try it. (CPUCool would work too, it has extra tools that's all)
I haven't used these programs in years though so I don'y know if there's an "Nvidia Southbridge" option in those programs.

MR.Scott will know much more ;)

Slap me and call me Sally

Well Gentlemen! This is getting very interesting...

I actually really have to knock myself out patting myself on the back. I feel quite smart and a little full of myself, but not even close as you Oracles of overclockers.com pillars of wisdom.

I actually got this rig setup for dual boot now! The original Win2003 Server and XP sp3!! Whoo hooo. Having a few issues with the XP I am working out, as the NIC does not work. But, I think I can use the Win2003 driver, just havent tried yet.

And thanks Blaylock for the heads up on CloneZilla!! Works sweet! Helped me get this setup here and clone Bruce before I load Win7 32 there. But dang you, CLoneZilla is a slick little linux app and now I need to get a linux drive up, and then found out about overclockix. So looks like I'll be doing some Linux benching as well, thanks a lot:eek:

Sooo...... What is your all opinion of this? This is some new arse shiat for me! Any further direction is appreciated. Obviously I start by grabbing some HwBot bench's and go from there, but exactly what do I do with these "trays", or what do they mean...

Big day here for me, waayyyy waaayyyy toooo into this stuff and its all youse alls faults:D

Buenas

cpucool.JPG

The PLL of NVidia Chipsets is included in the south bridge. So there is no PLL to find. NVidia southbridges are all supported.
You're not looking for the chipset PLL. You're looking for the PLL clock generator. Every board has one.
If that quote was true, Clock Gen (utility to adjust FSB in Windows) wouldn't exist, right along with about 10 others off the top of my head that do the same thing.
You SS has one right in it. You just have the wrong selection.

Mr.Scott said:
You SS has one right in it. You just have the wrong selection.

not sure what SS means, please excuse my ignorance. Doesn't it appear from the screenshot that CPUCool has identified the correct PLL manufacturer and type? I can change the "Frequency to Set", but have not tried anything yet. I'm assuming I should start around 200, where CPUZ reports as current.

much appreciated!

not sure what SS means, please excuse my ignorance. Doesn't it appear from the screenshot that CPUCool has identified the correct PLL manufacturer and type? I can change the "Frequency to Set", but have not tried anything yet. I'm assuming I should start around 200, where CPUZ reports as current.

much appreciated!

Anything happens when you clock "Set Frequency"?

Some pics of your bare board would still do us wonders :)

SS=ScreenShot (or in most cases Single Stage).

Yes you should start at 200. That is stock.

much appreciated!

CPU Cool has identified your board chipset manufacturer (Nvidia) and the series (NF5). That is actually incorrect. You have a Nvidia chipset but series is NFP3400. It may very well use the same PLL, but it may not either, being a server board. It's kind of a crappy way to list PLL's.
Try it. Worst that will happen is it won't work or it'll hardlock requiring a reboot. Only sure way is to find the actual clock generator on the board.

Return to WhiteElephant

Gentlemen! I hope you'all are still sub'd cause I got what you wanted...
After the dust settled from the RR20, I found myself wanting, so I started ripping in.

I will keep the words short and the pictures many.
Here is what I collected, I identified three crystal oscillators on the board.
What's under the heatsink? Two springy thingys. I monkeyed with it a bit, but not apparent release mechanism and I didnt want to dork it.
IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0664.JPG IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0660.JPG

Here are a few bonus pics of what I am up to, a little SSD upgrade. I plan on cloning the windows 2003 disk, and a few other SSDs for Xp64 and possibly overclockix.
IMG_0648.JPG IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0672.JPG

Thanks!!!!

Salud

Back