• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No sound on passthrough DTS-HD MA for MKV rips only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

HTPC:
Intel NUC BOXD34010WYK1
4th Generation Intel Core i3-4010U processor​
Intel HD Graphics 4400​
Dual channel SODIMM DDR3L 1333/1600 MHz, 1.35V​
mini HDMI 1.4a with audio support​
Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3 - 12800) CL11 SODIMM Notebook Memory Modules CT2KIT51264BF160B / CT2CP51264BF160B
Intel 530 SSDMCEAW080A401 mSATA 80GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

AVR:
Denon AVR-590
Supports & Decodes Dolby TrueHD and DD+, DTS-HD, DTS-HR and DTS-HD MA

KodiBuntu (XBMC) 14 Helix

OK so here is my problem, my bluray .mkv rips have no sound for highdef audio formats like DTS-HD MA but my .iso rips of the same disk work. The front of my AVR show that it's receiving the DTS-HD MA audio stream in both cases but only the .iso rip produces sound. In both cases the same audio files have been retained (DTS-HD MA 5.1 channel and the nested/core DTS 5.1 channel) if i leave the audio outputs in Kodi set to default all of my movies play just fine but when I set it to HDMI passthrough and enable the audio formats that the AVR is capable of handling only the .iso rips will produce sound.

Can anyone help with this?

I was wrong in my original post about it being all .iso and .mkv's... For some reason there was a 'hang up' when switching from one file to another where it would not produce sound during playback but if i stopped everything and went back and started to try to play it again it would play and produce sound.

None the less I have discovered the root cause of my issue with DTS-HD MA audio with some of my rips.

All of my rips .iso or .mkv that would not play had one thing in common, they used the VC-1 codec. The files that did produce sound during playback were h.264 or mpeg4 and would work if in .mkv or .iso.

To test, I ripped the VC-1 encoded movies to .mkv and then used handbrake to transcode it to h.264 and also tried mpeg4 with passthrough DTS-HD audio both of wich produced sound on my AVR during playback. Success!

Now maybe this sounds like a newbie question but why is the video codec interfering with audio playback when the audio is a separate channel?

hey sorry im late, but in kodi's settings just above where you enable passthrough, enable dolby transcoding, it will pull the dts stream out of the dts hd stream and allow your receiver to play it... i think something like that. helped me when i was havving issues with the -HD codecs.

Back