• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The big problem here is that the MSI 970 Gaming is on the very bottom of the curve for use with an FX8350. It MIGHT run it fine stock but anything more then a very mild overclock will cause issues with the power phase VRM and higher temps in the socket area. To be fair we have not seen many MSI boards come through for AMD we really do not know how it will react but if it follows along with similar issues that the ASROCk 970 boards does then buying a new FX8350 CPU for it will be a very disappointing experience for you.

Hmmm, what are you guys thoughts on the i5 4690k? I might consider that if i can find a mobo for $70 to make an even $300

Hmmm... it's a 27.5% improvement going from 6x4.5 to 8x4.3(estimated clock with extra heat). That percentage sounds mighty tempting

Hmmm... it's a 27.5% improvement going from 6x4.5 to 8x4.3(estimated clock with extra heat). That percentage sounds mighty tempting

You can't look at it like that for gaming.
Your gains from the extra cores will be more like 10% in games.

You can't look at it like that for gaming.
Your gains from the extra cores will be more like 10% in games.
Yes.

Going from 3 cores to the full 6 gave me 5 FPS more in Skyrim (52 vs 57 FPS). It took an extra 100 Mhz running 3 cores to match what 6 cores can do.

as far as I can tell very few games can make use of more than four cores, so for now keep the gear you have and save for a 4690K rig.
I have a 4790K rig for game time, the sim i spend (waste) time playing likes 4 cores clocked as high as I can get them.
it games much better than my fx8350 rig with the same cards installed.

HEy guys, I just won a motherboard from NCIXtechtips and am planning on selling it to upgrade my cpu. I currently am running into some minor problems running CPU intensive games (Chivalry and GTA:IV) Do you guys think that upgrading to an FX 8350 and overclocking it would help much? Or should I save my time and money?

GTA IV isn't CPU intensive on my i7-5820 ever.

Yes.

Going from 3 cores to the full 6 gave me 5 FPS more in Skyrim (52 vs 57 FPS). It took an extra 100 Mhz running 3 cores to match what 6 cores can do.

What? last time I checked skyrim it's only running on 3 cores... even with my FX-6300 and all cores running... besides that, FPS will be limited by the refresh rate of your monitor.

What? last time I checked skyrim it's only running on 3 cores... even with my FX-6300 and all cores running... besides that, FPS will be limited by the refresh rate of your monitor.

Don't forget how AMD FX chips are... 2 cores sharing resources like L caches.
Also, less cores meant I had less cores for background apps and things like that.

Skyrim is also limited to 60 FPS anyways, so in the end it was best to have 6 cores not 3 faster ones.

Back