• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

HEy guys, I just won a motherboard from NCIXtechtips and am planning on selling it to upgrade my cpu. I currently am running into some minor problems running CPU intensive games (Chivalry and GTA:IV) Do you guys think that upgrading to an FX 8350 and overclocking it would help much? Or should I save my time and money?

MSI 970 Gaming....... That's in your signature, is that the motherboard you are planning on using. If so you might find it is a little on the weak side for any overclocking you might want to try on an FX cpu especially an FX8xxx chip.

Why not try overclocking a bit higher on the FX 6300?
Take the new mobo you got, sell it and grab a Sabertooth for your 6300.

what motherboard are you on now, what motherboard did you win and what cooling are you using?

I'm currently using an Fx 6300 and an MSI 970 Gaming Mobo with a Hyper 212 Evo. I won an Asus Crossblade Ranger (FM2+).

In those games, They are always running my CPU at full 100%. I could probably get my clock up to 4.4 ghz, but my max gaming temps are 52.5 so I don't have too much room.

You can get a bit higher with a D14, 4.6 Ghz or so but I like to say, water or bust for FX!

How's your case air flow. What case and how many fans. The 212evo is not a bad cooler you show be able to do a bit better on your temps. Thinking air flow through your case might be an issue.

To really overclock an FX8350 beyond 4.5 - 4.6 you will need some decent cooling and a good motherboard.

I just ran my p95 blend for half an hour. I'm currently at 4.4ghz @ 1.336 (v droops to 1.320 under load).

My case airflow should be very good. I have a Spec 03 case. In the front I have 2 120mm fans as intakes, one being a Corsair AF, one being the included Corsair case fan (same blades as their SP series, but diff motor). On the bottom I have a Thermaltake Luna (slim 120mm) as an intake. I have a single Corsair AF120 as exhaust in the back. And for my CPU cooler I have two Corsair SP120's in push/pull with the included Evo fan at the very top helping to exhaust the air coming out. (3 fans stacked basically).

After the 30 minutes my max package temp showed 52.9C, but when I was watching it I never saw it go above 48.8C so it could have been from something earlier in the test or something that I did outside of the test.

ImageUploadedByOverclockers1435957271.636284.jpg

I'm also starting to put some sound dampening foam inside my case where ever it doesn't effect air flow and is out of sight since I have a window. This stuff I'm using does insulate heat, but I have not seen any noticeable change in any temperatures.

to game on fx you really need to be at 4.5, see if you can get it a little higher.
what issues are you having in game?

At 4.5 stable with +.17v to the cpu. What does +.17v mean? Idk ask my mobo cus it doesn't let me manually type in the voltage.

to adjust things in this bios you highlight the field you want to adjust and use the + key to raise it and the - key to lower it.

+.17v ....... means you have added .17v to the CPU voltage or as we call it VCore. Some boards will not allow you to type exact voltages but as a + or - or as refered to as offset +/- from a given value.

I understand what it means. I thought the stock voltage for an FX 6300 was 1.225, it actually seems to be .035 less than that.

(All i'm saying is it doesn't tell you the stock voltage and just has you guessing till you check cpuz)

Last edited:
I understand what it means. I thought the stock voltage for an FX 6300 was 1.225, it actually seems to be .035 less than that.

(All i'm saying is it doesn't tell you the stock voltage and just has you guessing till you check cpuz)

Stock Vcore actually depends on the chip.
My stock Vcore is 1.325...

We generally recommend 62C max package temps and 72C max socket temps, but in reality, AMD's max temps for 6 core FX CPU's is 70C.
I wouldn't run higher than that 24/7 personally. :)

FYI if you really want to know...

...I do not use Core Temp but for this one feature and then only if I am TOO lazy to clock back to stock in bios so can use CPUz "About" and save to text to get a full and accurate listing of the CPU's P-States. IF you are overclocked you cannot use CPU-z "About" to tell it to list all information and get a full and accurate read out of the CPU's P-States. I also usually download only the zip versions and unzip and make shortcut to EXE and never install the Core Temp application. Then all I have to do is delete the shortcut and go on with my normal 3rd party app for temp and voltage monitoring. Because I want to see both the Package/Core temp and the CPU/Socket temp since the CPU Socket temp has value to me when using a HOT FX processor.

I use the Voltage value shown outlined in Core Temp to add my +Offset voltage to with my CHV-Z board which allows inputting an Offset voltage to be used by board to supply voltage to the CPU when under load. I expect my CPU voltage under load (as seen in my normal 3rd party software) to be the voltage found in Core Temp plus my ADDED Offset + voltage to be my CPU voltage while running under load, +/- any minute Vcore droop generated by the load on the CPU. I do expect my setting in CPU_LLC to make any Vdroop under load to be very near next to nothing as is my actual experience with my CHV-Z motherboard.

RGone...

1coretemp.jpeg

http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Last edited:
I'm at 4.5 Ghz now. Back to the original question. Would upgrading to the 8350 improve my performance in CPU intensive games by an amount that is worth the effort of: Selling Mobo, buying CPU, replacing CPU, overclocking CPU, selling old CPU?

Also will the 8350 output more heat? If so and I cannot clock as high as I can now, lets say I only get 4.3ghz and am at my limit, will it still be better than my 4.5ghz on 6 cores?

Use the effort to go to a 4690K or 4790K, you'll actually notice that.

I would say the swap you're talking about isn't worth it, and yes it would produce more heat.

ATM is correct. You would see increased heat and probably lower overclocks.

2 options, push for 4.7 Ghz or switch to intel.....

I would try to push 4.7 first and see how the games respond.

Back