• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving To The Dark Side Of Cooling - Home Made Dice Pot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm AMD all the way:) Have several PII's that I would like to re-bench and 2x 8320's, 1x 8350, and 1x 8370. I'm also ATI/AMD on the video side to:) I've got a 2600xt, 3650, 3x 4850's, skipped the 5k series, sold my 6950 toxic's, 7x 280x's, and 2x 290x's:)

Last edited:
It looks like:
- 3DM01, 03, 05, heaven = Core i7/i5/Pentium G3258, haswell or ivy ( if it's clocking good )
- 3DM06/AM3 = Core i5/i7 haswell or ivy ( if it's clocking good )
- Vantage/11/3DM13 = 6 cores or more i7/Xeon IB-E/HW-E
- Catzilla - i7, cores are helping but final score on 4 and 6+ cores is almost the same, bugged benchmark or something

AMD CPUs are good only for hardware tests in 2D benchmarks. In 3D will barely give any points.

I would check which from these FX are clocking best, leave 2 and sell 2 so you get some money for Intel. At start G3258+good OC board in reasonable price like ASRock Z97 OCF is great for 3DM01, 03, 05, heaven, and maybe also catzilla. On the other hand in ~2 months should by skylake so maybe better will be to sell some stuff and wait for premiere.

I've not put it on yet, but is this the locations to slap it between?????

Front Of CH-V-FZ.jpg

Back Side Of CH-V-FZ.jpg

MM, if that isn't being sarcastic you need to do some reading on insulation for sub-ambient temperatures and such. Iirc, there's a sticky thread in the extreme cooling section with some tips and we may have had a front page article written by Miah at some point as well. (Would link but I'm on mobile)

Edit: I didn't see your edits to the pictures. Yes that is a general gist of where it goes (like any other cooler that also has a back plate). You will also need at least some paper towels, and probably some neoprene foam to go between the board and the back plate as well.

Yes. From ram slot to power section caps and top of board to NB heatsink. About the same on the back of the board. Mash some Vasoline into the CPU socket, ram slots and I even put some in the #1 PCIE slot for good measure.

Then as Janus mentioned use a closed cell foam like neoprene (I used an old mouse pad) and some absorbance towels. I like Sham-wow, Johan used some bamboo sheets (don't know where he finds these).

Post up some picks once you have the tape applied so we can see the cover.

Thank Guys:)
I just wanted to be sure before I slapped the stuff on:)

Post a picture of the board insulation and tell us what you did before slapping the pot on

Working on making this a Mini - Putzen Around section for some of our new members:)

Sorry Woomack :chair: but you can get lost in there for days:comp:

Thanks Blaylock and Janus:) The Pic you posted for me Blay did not have any IC's on the back side, I was just going to go from the ram to past the VRM's. When I turned the board over:facepalm:...it had IC's under the VRM section:confused:

That is why I asked/took pic :confused: so that I didn't get the - Stupid NOOB, your not supposed to had done that :rofl:

Here's the Liquid Electrical Tape applied to the front and back :) Let me know if I missed a spot or put to much in a spot.:popcorn:

I'll apply the Vaseline when the pot gets here, (I was trying to explain this to wife and every time I said pot, she thought of the plant) I ordered it on Friday so there is a delay in processing my order:(

Front View.jpg

It didn't get inside of the RAM slot, just across the top. I've got to clean that off :)

Back View.jpg

Hard core :thup:

just watch if water starts to form

Lots of paper towels

got a roll of sham wow at home depot the other day for 4 bucks

Thicker layer on the liquid tape, than use ky-jelly ontop of mosfets and components surrounding RAM and NB.

Neoprane or some kind of similar foam around CPU socket to absorb water.

YEp I would agree with the thicker layer of liquid tape, the thicker it is the easier it is to peel off.

Honestly all you need is ky-jelly. I don't use anything else if you apply a very thick layer. That stuff doesn't even get frozen when its touching the pot.

Its also super easy to clean, just remove bios battery and heatsinks, than stick into dishwasher. :D

Ky = Vaseline btw.

Back