• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving To The Dark Side Of Cooling - Home Made Dice Pot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^^Did you get my box I set you????^^^

then stick into dishwasher???? What??? Put the board in the dishwasher????
Have you taken your med's today.

No soap... let it dry for a couple days and/or bake in the sun. No joke belive it or not.

Lol I was so freaked out when xxSuperBGxx told me to wash my board. Just make sure the battery is out. Top shelf. Let it fully dry.

also make sure that it's not going to bounce around from the spray, but yes they are not pulling your leg, the dishwasher.

You can also use art eraser as added protection

View attachment 166082

I would use this amount of eraser for 3 boards :D

Really you only have to cover everything what is made of metal - can make short with anything what is near.
Actually I'm only using thin layer of eraser for everything and it's good enough. I guess that all have their own way to bench on cold.

After benching on dice I leave board on bench table for ~24h ( if I don't need it for something else ). It's more than enough time to make all dry. I'm not using anything like vaseline. Only eraser and paper towels. I would think about vaseline only while benching with memory on cold.

Actually I'm only using thin layer of eraser for everything and it's good enough. I guess that all have their own way to bench on cold.
Coming from the guy that in most every post has something dead on his hands to RMA... I think I would follow that picture. :p :rofl:

Coming from the guy that in most every post has something dead on his hands to RMA... I think I would follow that picture. :p :rofl:

I lol'd

Edit: also, inb4blamingallthecomponents

Last edited:

Think that most hardware is dying on air/water or when I'm not using it for 2 weeks+ ( that's most common in last 2 years and still unexplained ). I don't remember if I ever killed anything on cold what was actually my fault.

???????
Just using DICE, do you not want the heat to escape from the VRM's and NB through the heatsink. I would think that a layer of KY/Vaseline would inhibit the transfer of heat from the IC's > Thermal Pad > Heatsink. If it will still transfer the heat, I'm all for it :thup: I was looking at using the Fujipoly 17.0 watt/mk thermal pads in place of the ones Asus used. I was also going to use DimasTech® Thermal Grease HTX-EE, Heat Transfer Extreme, Enthusiast Edition that's rated @ 8.6 W / mK, the other brands that have been mentioned where out of stock at PPC when I placed my order. I love AS5 but the one thing I hate about it is it's curing time, 200+ hot/cold cycles is a little long:(
I was thing of going with Woomack's picture of how to place the eraser around the VRM/NB:)

When CPU is really cold then PCB is really cold and is cooling vrm etc. When you bench on LN2 then you barely ever need additional fans for something else than reducing frost/moisture.
Btw. it wasn't my picture but Witchdoctor's ;) ... I think I posted mine couple of months ago but I don't remember where.

You are not putting a 1" thick layer of it to cover the heatsink... just enough to cover the IC's etc on the board.

9Ujah.jpg

This was after a 2hr session. I only used ky and paper towels. And this is with a Venom pot, biggest phattest pot you can get.

^^^^ The screws for holding down the pot look like lighting rods in that picture^^^^^
I swear I can still see cold vapors floating over the board :shock:

What was your experiment DR. Jeckel , Cryo-frezzing a rat or a mutt :chair: for HALLOWEEN :-/

Here's a shot of mine after about 6 hours of Ln2 benching at Witchys. The power of the Sham-wow lol

Before
20150516_105059.jpg

And after
20150516_113338.jpg

Well my pot covers 2/3rds of the board. I actually can't use the first two DIMM slots because of it. So thus everything gets frozen. People with EVO pots have a more "focused" cold dispersion, thus the board doesn't freeze.

In my picture you can see some frozen globs of the ky on the fan ports. Even when my entire board freezes over it will still run. The insulation acts as two parts in the thermal world: 1)Protects moisture from entering into sensitive electrical connections, 2)The material holds heat so that chips that tend to be seen "frozen" actually run at nominal temperature conditions. Some chips like the VRM can't handle negative temperatures.

Ice is not and never will be the problem,

It is when said ice melts,

Don't get to caught up stressing, run the Dice, what you need to to do will be self evident at the point in time

Once you have a session under your belt confidence and experience will be on your side :)

Back