• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving To The Dark Side Of Cooling - Home Made Dice Pot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The FIRST time is allows a good learning experience, Several good advice's have been given. I now know that I cut the hole for the CPU/Pot to small :( This is the main problem on my first time with DICE, the pot is not completely on top of the CPU :( The F1 angels out, not up. Use a mouse pad on back of board instead of the included foam padding. The foam padding is like 1/2"~3/4" thick so board is to tall to mound on benching rig :( Buy a good K probe that will go below -100c. I have picked up 12 1/2 pounds of DICE and have about 2 liters of IPA to start the benching with. I'll post later on how my first time went :thup:

Nice. That IPA will gel up on you as it reaches max cold FYI. I use Acetone and open a window for ventilation.

Yes, be sure wherever you do it you have good ventilation.
If you start to get a headache while benching, get out and get some fresh air since that means the Co2 level in that area is high.
Be careful.

All of mine came pre-drilled (never bought one new) and put my probe in the side with some tim and taped it there and the K-type cord going up and out the armaflex.

Exactly. There is usually a pre-drilled hole there that you slide the probe into w/TIM just as Janus said. :)

All of mine came pre-drilled (never bought one new) and put my probe in the side with some tim and taped it there and the K-type cord going up and out the armaflex.
I got a CHEAP K probe, the end was to big to fit in the predrilled hole :(
********* NOT AGAIN !!!!!!!!!
I just started, waited about 45~1min to give it time to cool down before I turned on the power. I got an error code of 66 & 99 with the VGA and Boot Device LED light on :( I have hit reset, clear CMOS, turned it on and off. I'm going to just shut it down and wait 30 min and tare that BIT*H apart!!!!

I went back and corrected the foam around the CPU/pot mounting area :)

Bad CPU Mounting.jpg

CPU Mounting Corrected.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Something is clearly preventing the pot from mounting properly. This needs to be addressed or your DICE wont help cool anything. I had the same issue at Witchy's. Look to see if you have to much eraser. It should be lower than the top of the CPU. If that foam is thick it may be squishing down between the CPU and pot. etc...

Something is clearly preventing the pot from mounting properly. This needs to be addressed or your DICE wont help cool anything. I had the same issue at Witchy's. Look to see if you have to much eraser. It should be lower than the top of the CPU. If that foam is thick it may be squishing down between the CPU and pot. etc...

Would that also cause it to not complete a boot into BIOS?????
I have taken it apart and will try again tomorrow :) Do I also remove the CPU from the socket during the tear down??????

If there was condensation then yes I would.

It shouldn't prevent a post. I've posted without a cooler just to verify it would post, but I never let it get to a full boot. I think it would all depend on how hot it got during booting.

If there was condensation then yes I would.

It shouldn't prevent a post. I've posted without a cooler just to verify it would post, but I never let it get to a full boot. I think it would all depend on how hot it got during booting.

There was no moister down low, only around the top of the hold down bracket:) I only got to use 2 cups of DICE before I called it quits :( If you look at the first pic, you can see where the cooler was still hitting the foam around the CPU. I recut it in the second pic, to make it wider so that the pot just dropped in. I still forgot to retim so that after I was done I could tell if the pot was seating better :(

Is the board done for today????
If not, I would like to remount the F1 and try a different power supply. I was using a Lepa 1600w that I dont think I have had a board post with it. I was going to switch to my Corsair RM1000 that I know has booted several boards before I got the Lepa.

As Mandrake alluded to earlier, if there wasn't any condensation around the socket, you should be fine. :)

I also never reviewed a pot... so not sure what you are saying there about E_D (unless you were talking about someone else?). However, I do occasionally use that 5 dot method for complete coverage.

Still, that pot didn't mount right. I think you should practice mounting until you see what is up.

EDIT: Also, in most cases, you want to start the PC out of the gate and let it warm up a bit with the pot on it (just let it sit on the bios for a few minutes and watch the temps. Part of the problem of that mount may be that you went cold before turning the PC on if I read correctly. I usually will let things warm up a bit and settle, give the pot a bit of a twist, THEN start bringing it down/cold. Otherwise, TIM becomes INCREDIBLY viscous and may not spread properly.

Last edited:

From what I'm seeing that's exactly what's up.
Your foam is holding the pot off of the CPU's lid to an extent causing poor contact between the pot's base and the CPU itself. You'll have to make sure you're getting a solid point of contact between the pot and CPU or it's gonna run hot instead of cold and never boot, could even fry the CPU inspite of all else being frozen.
Make double sure of your pot's contact with the CPU, I'd go as far as to remove the foam, apply your TIM and see what kind of contact pattern you get, then redo the foam and see if you get the same pattern. If getting the same pattern you're OK but if not, it's an issue you'll have to solve.

I thank all of YOU :thup:
I got up ~ 4am and took all the things you guys have talked about :) I fixed the areas that needed work and put everything together as if I was going to start a benching section. I had NO DICE in the pot, just the pot on the CPU. I also switched out the Lepa 1600w for the Corsair RM1000. I turned on the power supply and hit the Direct Key to boot into the BIOS. I GOT A COMPLETE BOOT :attn:
Going to start on the benching of the 1100t :)
I also taped my cheap K probe to the side near the bottom so I can had a temp reading while it lasts :)

It boots. That is half the battle! Have you confirmed the pot is making good contact with the IHS? That is paramount to your success...

Last edited:
Back