• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving To The Dark Side Of Cooling - Home Made Dice Pot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LN2 isn't a whole lot different than DICE MM. Just much colder.
Agreed, the only differences between the two that I've found is one, Ln2 is easier unless you can buy DICE pellets, I can only get blocks and it's a bit of a pain to be constantly chipping at the block an adding. Especially when benching a Fx 8xxx chip on all 8, you're constantly adding to keep it cold. Two, Ln2 will definitely find spots where you are not insulated enough, I learned when doing Ln2 that I did not have enough insulation around my ram slots and had Ice dams forming up against and over the 1st slot which eventually caused issues. Third, if benching Intel or an older AMD chip you may have to worry about getting too cold as they will have Cold Bug. On the Fx chips and most Phenom/Thubans you just get them as cold as you can and hit them hard.

What would be a good size for a Dewar? I have found them listed from 1L up to 20L+, I only plan to cool a CPU and a GPU for a short time (< 4 hours) Do I need to make sure that it comes with the little scoops???
Do you pour it into a thermos and then into the pot????

Also -- Bad News--- I got up yesterday and was getting ready for the day. I had just got done with my teeth, when I had a heart attack. I was in the hospital all day and got to come home around 2100 last night. My health continues to go down :(

I hope you health makes a turn around soon MM. I'm very sorry to hear about that, but relieved that it wasn't "The big one".

As far as dewers I was looking for a 35L-50L dewer for all day benching(about 8 hours). I ended up not getting one do to exorbitant prices in my area. If I ever do find a supplier that will give me a decent rate the the 35-50L rage is where I'll end up. But yes you are correct. You fill your thermos from the dewer and us that to fill your pot. The dewer is just to heavy to try and do direct pours. In fact you don't even need a thermos. Johan just uses a giant styrofoam cup from the gas station. LOL It worked great for him.

^ 35L - 50L dewar.....Ouch. The 10L's that I have seen are about $300 and the 15L's are $400. Would a 15L be a good starting point or should I pick up the 10L as a beginner? All of the containers state that they will hold LN2 for 100+ days

Hey MM definitely IMO go with LN2. I find it so much easier to wrk with . As for holding a temp that just takes some practice.
Dewar size I have a 35L which is good for a day maybe 2 depending on what I bench but it weighs about 70lbs full so I wouldn't go much bigger. You may want to check local supplier prices before you go too far with it. I get mine filled for about $40 but some places aren't as friendly.

EDIT: just had a look a some of your posts and it seems you were having some real issues. Did you get the extension for the pot? Cause like Witchdoctor said it's a heavy poy, I have one of the older ones but very similar. You should have been able to take it down to -70c without issue and keep it there, I also don't understand what you meant by the "board freezing"

Last edited:
I'm by no means an expert on this so take my advice with a grain of salt. From what I've read it's much much cheaper to buy used dewers. Also buying larger quantities of LN2 can net you a lower price per liter.

Definitely used if you can find one. The prices new are just too high. Mine was a bit leaky when I got it but with a bit of TLC it's almost good as new. It certainly holds pressure now, I almost took my head off opening it one time.

Hey MM definitely IMO go with LN2. I find it so much easier to wrk with . As for holding a temp that just takes some practice.
Dewar size I have a 35L which is good for a day maybe 2 depending on what I bench but it weighs about 70lbs full so I wouldn't go much bigger. You may want to check local supplier prices before you go too far with it. I get mine filled for about $40 but some places aren't as friendly.

EDIT: just had a look a some of your posts and it seems you were having some real issues. Did you get the extension for the pot? Cause like Witchdoctor said it's a heavy poy, I have one of the older ones but very similar. You should have been able to take it down to -70c without issue and keep it there, I also don't understand what you meant by the "board freezing"

I have not picked up the extra extension for the F1 Dark, this is a later purchase :)
I also don't understand what you meant by the "board freezing" < In my earlier runs nothing wanted to cooperate :( the NB/SB would start out nice and then have to be lowered, or the memory would drop the last slot, the cpu not wanting to hold xx speed. Then when I did get into windows I would have about 10-15 seconds and then the computer would lockup on me :(

I'm wondering if, since you said you were only going to -30 you were just pushing to hard for the temp. Not freezing enough.
The extension is a must with DICE you need the added room for more DICE and liquid to coo that big block of copper.

I'm wondering if, since you said you were only going to -30 you were just pushing to hard for the temp. Not freezing enough.
The extension is a must with DICE you need the added room for more DICE and liquid to coo that big block of copper.

^^^ this was with a cheap probe. I have since got a good thermometer and probe :) My last run was @ -69c idle and -65c load in 3DMark 05 :)

Oh, that's much better MM, right where it should be.
I'd still be surprised if it was board freezing. I've had mine at -180 for hours. Did you try changing BIOS ?

I didn't change the BIOS, maybe i should have. I was able to complete 05 @ 5.8 but everything after failed :( I would get a constraint lockup running any bench higher than 3DMark 05 with the processor @ 5.5 or higher :(

Here is a shot of my benching mobo, do I need to take the eraser past the VRM heat sinks???

Shot Of Benching Mobo.jpg

No, if anything you have "lots" of eraser there and you don't want the VRM to get too cold. They don't like the cold so much. The eraser transfers the cold.
I don't go nearly that far with it., out to the rods and around the socket just enough to hold my neoprene socket cut out up tight to my neoprene pot sleeve.

Hey Shawn :)

Here's a picture of the box that I just shipped you :) It should be there sometime on Friday, I used FedEx to ship the box. You should already know what is inside :thup:

EVGA 980Ti For Shawn.jpg

Back