• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving To The Dark Side Of Cooling - Home Made Dice Pot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

:screwy:
I know I'm trying to reinvent the wheel here, so any help is greatly welcomed :) I also do not mine " You are doing this the WRONG WAY *****HEAD"

I'm trying to stay with stuff that I can get at Homedepot or Lowes. Thanks Blay and Dolk:thup:

I'm going to use a old Cool-It Eco ALC AIO unit as the base plate. My next problem is what dia tubing to use over the CPU socket???? 1/4" - 1/2" - 3/4" - 1"

How high should the tubing be??? 8" - 10" - 12" ---- I'll be using copper as it is the easiest to get and in shorter lengths.

Should I tapper the tubing as is done on LN2 pots, this is for DICE only. How much insulation do I need around the tubing??? 1 - 2 -3 -4 layers

Thank You For Your Time :)

After you've seen how a DICE pot is constructed (in person) you'll realize just how much of a chunk of copper you really need for it to be a good one.

Should I think about switch back and forth between water cooling and DICE on my benching rig or just grab the pot and continue on????

You can prepare board for both, water and dice and remove additional insulation ( paper towels or whatever you will use ) from the cpu area when you switch to water ... at least I make it like that. Even boards and graphics cards in my 24/7 pcs are prepared for cold :)
Anyway you test memory, max bclk etc on water and later move to cold for some serious benching. Making basic tests on dice would be simply a waste of dice.

I was looking at going back to my PII CPU's and re-bench them. The PII x3 425 is multi locked and I'm also using a piece of **** xspc water block. < I'll have to buy a new water block $75, res $30, pump $90
If I can find the time to make a cooler of ice water, I can just pick up some dice instead and bench away:)
I was just thinking that I would start with the water to find the top speed/voltage and then on another day DICE it until it dies:)

The cost to do both right now would be :
Water Cooling = $190
Dice Pot = $134.54

Looks like the Dice Pot FTW:) I'll drop the other items from my cart @ PPC

Thank Guys :grouphug:

If you're really looking for Boints then just get the pot and be done with it...Once you go that cold you're not going to even bother pushing on ambient. Though Woomack, does have a point about testing. For example, 3D benching, finding the right driver for the Benchmark and/card as well as what LOD settings and such. For 2D, seeing how far you can push the ram and timings, etc... Though, you can also do that on air. Just make sure you have a place you can get DICE or Ln2!

Also you are going to need a digital thermometer that reads sub ambient temps.

I've already bought the pot that was linked, if you register with them you get a 2% discount:) I'm staying with DICE for now, until next year when I can join in on one of the LN2 meetings. From what I have been reading on benching with DICE, a digital thermometer that reads sub ambient temps is optional. How do you close the temp probe hole if your not using it?????
I will be needing a digital thermometer that reads sub ambient temps, just can't afford it this month after these purchases:) I can get the DICE pretty easy, the LN2 will require some research of my area:) I've already told the wife that I will not be touching LN2 until I have some time seeing how the pro's use it:)

FWIW MM The water cooling set-up I have I use more as a daily use and for the lighter Marathon stuff we've been doing. Once you enter the darkside it's really hard to look back. Maybe it's just me but when I get home from work and log-on to start benching I soon realize how much more I could be doing cold and it's almost discouraging. Don't get me wrong it's still fun, but when you own a car you ride your bicycle a whole lot less. :)

You don't need a digital thermometer its far and in between before you see a chip with a cb\cbb I still don't own one

You don't need a digital thermometer its far and in between before you see a chip with a cb\cbb I still don't own one
You don't with Dry Ice... but with LN2, outside of AMD chips, nearly all Intel's have a cb/cbb that needs to be monitored. I believe he has intel? Not sure, as his sig doesn't show hardware.

Some of the older AMD chips such as Athlons and some Phenoms have cold bugs. So if you are not then you'll be ok. Just an FYI I picked up my Fluke on ebay used for less then $30.00 shipped.

My AM2 stuff bugged around -20c and my 4790k was good down to -140c which I hear is very good.

If you stay away from the am2 stuff you wont have a problem everything else is pretty cold bug free.

Back