• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving To The Dark Side Of Cooling - Home Made Dice Pot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow :thup:
Is that with LN2???? Nope DICE with 2 cores enabled. I was able to get mine to 5.1 but the CPU-Z validation does not want to work for me :( To finish out the CPU benches, I had to drop to 4560 as I had totally lost my cooling :(
First thing this morning was great, I had it dropped to -30c within 2min ( with my cheap K-probe taped to the side of pot ) and was benching @ 4.8 with 1.7v. By the time I saw that I had a BAD mem stick, switched them out with my backup set, it was already noon :( From there I had to keep dropping the speed as my temp kept going up. I just now stopped as I was not longer able to keep -10c ( by my K-probe ) on the pot.

Could be the chip you have doesn't want to go as well as mine BUT I believe the use of more voltage is part of the problem you're having.
Try to imitate what you see in my screenie and see how it does for you.

BTW I don't use a probe with mine, I just load it up and let it go... Helps that the pot I used resembles a skyscraper vs most others, I can really load it up but good with DICE if I need to.

If your temp goes up, add more DI. It shouldn't constantly warm up like that over time. Something is messed up.

Are you pulverizing the DI to mostly powder with some chunks? Maybe get acetone instead of alcohol...You are mixing it up as was mentioned earlier? Yeah, something is not right there.

I run nothing but acetone, that's always worked fine here.
I also do pulverize the DICE but into smaller chunks, not going for it all to be a powder. Powder is good for a quick drawdown of temps but doesn't last long, chunks won't get it as cold but lasts longer overall.

What powder I get I use of course but the main part of it is small chunks, that seems to work best for what I have and what I'm doing.

I just received my replacement FX-8350 from AMD :thup: Hopefully I'll get the FX-8320 tomorrow and be able to really do some benching for the Div 4 comp :)

If your temp goes up, add more DI. It shouldn't constantly warm up like that over time. Something is messed up.

Are you pulverizing the DI to mostly powder with some chunks? Maybe get acetone instead of alcohol...You are mixing it up as was mentioned earlier? Yeah, something is not right there.

My second run with DICE was today :)

I tried to keep the chunks as small as possible, powder preferably. I also did not use as much IPA as I did the first time, I only had it slightly above the holes. My first time I think I had to much as when ever I added ice the IPA would already be at the top ready to spill over:( I also had to fill the pot alot :( Today I did not have to have a 3rd arm to keep the pot 3/4 full :thup: I only had problems when I was running the long benches and really stressing the CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally, you want a slurry in there. I don't think you are using enough. I was using a couple Oz of acetone, it was at least 1/2" inch above my 'holes' in the pot.

I know that I'm still fighting the mounting problem :( I will work on that again when I do another run :)
How does that extra chimney work????? Is that for LN2 use??? I was going to try it out today but the insulation at the top of the pot did not want to cooperate.

I was okay on cooling until about 2:00pm - 2:30pm when my son decided to keep the front door open :( Even with the A/C going, the temp in the house increased from 70f to 75f ( 21.1c to 23.8c ). The humidity also went up to ~ 74%, not sure if these make a difference cooling with DICE.
I've got to lay down now, I'm starting to hurt so I'm going to have to take my medicine :( When I take it I go to sleep :(

MaddMutt, you should do some trial fittings of the pot. Don't even turn the system on just put on the TIM and mount it. Then take it off and make sure you have a good spread. If you're getting a good mount then you're good to go. I was looking at your runs and it seems that the chip needed a whole lot of Volts for the overclocks you were getting. Now it may be that, that is just the way the chip is or it may be that you didn't have a good mount and it wasn't getting all the cold.

Last edited:
I feel the same way, the fit between the pot and the foam around the socket is not fixed yet :(

Here are pic's of my bench run of cinebench 11.5 and then cinebench 15. There is about 1hr 45min difference in time between the 2 bench runs. You can see that I had to drop back on the CPU & Memory to get cinebench 15 to run.
It is really noticeable in the GPUPI for CPU bench. There is roughly 3 1/2 hours between the first run ( 100M ) and the second run ( 1B ), I could get the small runs @ a fast speed but had to drop back for the large runs?????

cinebench 11.5 @ 4.7.jpg

cinebench 15 @4560.jpg

GPUPI For CPU.jpg

GPIPI For CPU 1B.jpg

Well my third try at cooling with DICE SUCKED royally. Everything was going smooth, I started at 1.5v and was adding 100MHz until the computer froze or BSODed. I would then add .025v and start again but my last 2 runs, I had saved the CPU-Z validation for upload later. For some reason I could not get the files validated, so today I was going to run a LAN cable to it :thup: I have always gotten a online validation without any problems and so it was again today :) I had installed Windows 7 and then went through system configuration, disabling any programs that I would not need for benching. One of the process that I had disabled was network connections, I also did not install the driver for it. I had to go back and turn all that stuff back on:( The good news is that I was able to get a validation on my FX-8350 :thup: The bad news is that when I restarted the computer, I had bonked my installation of Windows :facepalm: I spent 30min trying to get everything I would to try and recover my install, during this time the computer was looping windows setup. I got back and spent another 30min trying to repair my installation of windows. Unfortunately I was not able to save it :rain:

I reworked the foam pad around the CPU to allow it to let the pot to slide in without being pulled under it. The problem I had today was that I did not allow the TIM to spread out over the CPU/pot. I placed 5 dots on the CPU and the seated the pot. When I removed the pot, I had 5 dots in the same location as on the CPU. When I was done benching and removed the pot during the tear down, I looked at the bottom of the pot. I still had the same 5 dots on the bottom of the pot and 5 dots on the CPU :( I froze the TIM before it got a chance to spread :(
Next time I will spread the TIM before I mount the pot.

Mount the pot but run in bios with it on and empty, the mass should be enough to cool the cpu under no real load and that should spread the tim. If it doesn't then I imagine the mount isn't tight enough.

Mount the pot but run in bios with it on and empty, the mass should be enough to cool the cpu under no real load and that should spread the tim. If it doesn't then I imagine the mount isn't tight enough.
^^^^This!

The mass of the pot is enough to keep the Cpu cool enough for at least 5 minutes at idle. This will give it enough time to spread evenly and if it doesn't then you know there is a mounting issue.

When benching especially when going sub ambient be prepared for issues. Borked OS/BIOS are part of the deal. Having an image of the OS or a Flash of the BIOS ready when problems occur makes things a lot easier.

I like to keep 2 - 3 drive pre-installed so it's just a quick swap out when they get borked. (more common while tweaking mem sub timings)

I like to keep 2 - 3 drive pre-installed so it's just a quick swap out when they get borked. (more common while tweaking mem sub timings)

I have benched sub ambient now three times :thup: I have also lost my last memory slot ( last one from CPU socket ) about 3hrs into my bench runs :( Windows will say that I have 2 memory sticks installed but CPU-Z reports and the BIOS says that I only have 1 installed????? Once I start to run the bench, I open CPU-Z and it says that I have 1 memory stick installed running in single channel mode:(

I think I have found the problem to my mounting issue. After I did my tear down, I again noticed that the hold down plate had not seated correctly on the F1 Dark. I had originally cut the insulation for the F1 to cover from the bottom to the very top. When mounting the F1, I would fight to get the insulation below the first notch on the F1. I would fail to get it below the notch and use the hold down plate to get it there. This would cause the hold down plate to not contact the F1 on all 4 sides:( Instead it would be compressing the foam on one side, thus causing the F1 no to contact the CPU properly on that side :( I have since recut the foam for the F1 to go only from the bottom to the first notch on the F1 :) I have not tried the F1 with the reworked foam yet but I believe that this should help my mounting problem :thup:

Your memory issue sounds like a bad board. Do you have a different board to test the memory on or different memory to test the board?

As far as your mounting, as you know, if you don't have a good mount you're not going to have good cooling. Even with dice. Glad you figured it out. If you want to test your mount without using up all your TIM, put a drop of vaseline on your cpu and mount your F1. Pull it off and see how it spreads. Use a little IPA to clean it and try again. Once you have a good consistent mount then you know you're good for benching.

Oh this reminds me. Are you using vaseline in your Ram slots too?

Your memory issue sounds like a bad board. Do you have a different board to test the memory on or different memory to test the board?

I've tested the memory using the CHVFZ that I got back from RMA. They actually work great and have no issues running in a rig with stock cooling. It's ( ^ correction : I should have said 5 1/2 ~ 6 hours running cold ) only when I have been benching with DICE for an extended period of time, that I end up loosing the last memory slot.

Oh this reminds me. Are you using vaseline in your Ram slots too?

:facepalm: I'm currently running in Kamikaze mode except for the eraser around the CPU socket ( Top & Bottom ) :facepalm:

As I said in an earlier post : I have to many teachers and they are not all on the same page in the text book :rofl:
I have been instructed to use Vaseline in certain areas on the motherboard :thup:
I have also been instructed to use Automotive Dielectric Grease in certain areas of the motherboard :thup:
They both will do the same thing, it's just in how the product is applied :) Who the teacher is ATT ( < At This/That/The Time ) and how much they believe that their way is better than the other :)

I read an article about TIM and there was a statement made by the author that I have always loved :) In the article the author stated : " If you ask 10 different computer geeks what TIM they use in their computers, 80% will reply with Arctic Silver® 5. The other 20% will reply with various other brands."

Q : I know this is probably a :facepalm: but what happens when the foam around the F1 becomes dripping wet from condensation?????

You made me literally LOL there. Thx.

I've done the kamikaze mode for short periods, but neve 5-6 hours. You should take the Rodeo Clown Oath. Lmao

Vaseline, dielectric grease, doesn't matter. As you said it will work the same so long as you're keeping air out of the slot. I've never experienced this type of intermittent mem error. Maybe one of the more experienced member can help with that.

That condensation on your foam is expected and as long as your board is properly insulated won't be an issue. I do how ever use shop towels to dab up the wet areas to minimize the risk.

Back