• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Noctua NH-C14S Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Not all cases have room for a full tower heatsink. So, Noctua provides a blow-down variety with six heat pipes and a 140 mm fan. That was the NH-C14, and it is quite a cooler. So, what’s new? The NH-C14S (note the change in the model number), with the finstack moved over to make room for cards in the top PCIE slot. How well does this heatsink cool? Let’s find out.
Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its only a blow down design if used in a desktop case. Personally I would rather have it blow straight up than going directly on my CPU. In a tower, it can be a used in a push-pull configuration and will be blown near the side door or blown to the left of the case where most of us have fans cooling off our video cards or CPU anyway. Its not a blow down, its a blow-up or blow-left design.. That sounds silly.

Did you test the heat sink with the fans in the other direction? Would be curious to know if it changes the temps.

over time, the motherboard would be covered in dust.

Great article.

Testing it in a "blow up" <chortle> (pun intended) position would not be appropriate for: you would be pulling air warmed by the RAM; and with a narrow enough case, you would be blowing air against the side, slowing the traverse through the fin stack -- downstream obstructions slow upstream flow. Also, air that is shoved from a little separation does not go straight through a grate. In this case, the air exhausted by the heatsink would get recycled, and the heatsink compromised.

Also: since my testbed is open air, I can't really do the test you suggest and have it be anything like the real world.

16.jpg

This is the orientation of the original shot.

Hey Ehume, nice review ... and hi too, its been a while.

Wonder if changing the pipes orientation will have performance impact ? Like above photo, the pipes are horizontally, what if they're vertical ? Like rotate the whole case sitting at it's back, or just rotate the whole heatsink 90 degress ? (if its possible).

Just curious about the heatpipes performance as internally it works depends on the cooled liquid flow into hot part and somehow affected by gravity (not very sure about this though).

A good question. According to my review of the NH-L12, the vertical position was significantly better that the horizontal heatpipes. The results had as much to do with the difference in curvature of the contact plate as with the difference between horizontal and vertical. It's worth trying again.

Doubt I'll get back to it, though.

I did get back to it -- the Noctua mount is too easy. So far, the vertical heatpipes are beating the horizontal heatpipes by a couple of degrees. I'll repeat the tests, and post the results.

I did get back to it -- the Noctua mount is too easy. So far, the vertical heatpipes are beating the horizontal heatpipes by a couple of degrees. I'll repeat the tests, and post the results.

Couple of degrees !!! Wow !!! :drool: Just by turning the orientation, way too easy ! :clap:

Duh .. forgot, about the vertical position, which one ? As the two ends of pipes pointing upward ? Like an "U" shape and vice versa.

Couple of degrees !!! Wow !!! :drool: Just by turning the orientation, way too easy ! :clap:

Duh .. forgot, about the vertical position, which one ? As the two ends of pipes pointing upward ? Like an "U" shape and vice versa.

Ends pointing up. And the results are pending on the last test, but the results are good so far.

LinX 0.6.5 with AVX2, prob size 27000; Δ temp from 75°C horizontal heatpipes
push rpm pull rpm net temp
NF-A14 1500 1427 --- --- 65.6
--- --- NF-A14 1500 1442 65.8

LinX 0.6.5 with AVX2, prob size 27000; Δ temp from 75°C vertical heatpipes
push rpm pull rpm net temp
NF-A14 1500 --- --- 60.6
--- --- NF-A14 1500 60.9

Um. I'm not sure I believe those temp differences. For one thing, the horizontal testing was done using both components of Arcticlean. The vertical was done with only the first component used. Stay tuned. I've remounted the horizontal with only the first component used. Must wait a day for testing.

Media never lets the truth get in the way of making headlines.

This whole 1151 mount thing is a joke. Some systems got damaaged when shipped with tower coolers mounted and now everyone is going ape about cooler mounts damaging the chips. :screwy:

I mount a at least a couple coolers a week, sometimes several a day, and have never had a mount damage the socket or CPU.

I've heard some say Thermalright mount is not good and creates to much pressure. I mount as many Thermalright coolers and all other combined. Again, never had any damage. First heat pipe cooler I ever had was Thermalright 10 years ago. Never damaged a socket or CPU.

And yes, I am presently using a 6700k as one of my test platforms .. with no problems at all, and know of several others using them with no problems either.

Today tom's HARDWARE released this statement in "Can CPU cooler Skylake systems damage?":
Allerdings wird hier unserer Meinung nach wieder viel Panik geschürt, wo selbige zumindest in der vorliegenden Wucht nicht angebracht ist: Sämtliche Hersteller gaben an, dass eine Beschädigung von CPU oder Mainboard ausschließlich beim Eintreten starker Erschütterungen während des Transports auftreten könnte. Wer nicht gerade regelmäßig mit montiertem CPU-Kühler im ungefederten Fahrzeug auf LAN-Parties fährt, muss also nicht direkt in Panik ausbrechen.
http://www.tomshardware.de/skylake-...ck-skylakegate,news-254213.html#xtor=EPR-8886
English translation:
"However, in our opinion, again stirred up a lot of panic here, where selbige is not appropriate, at least in the present force: All manufacturers indicated that damage of CPU or motherboard could only occur upon the occurrence of strong shocks during transport. Those who are not regularly mounted CPU cooler is running on LAN parties in unsprung vehicle, so it must not break directly into panic."​

Back