• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitors die, then I cry (Dell e2310hc)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

I recently took a risk and ordered a nice set of older monitors because they were at a good price. Description said they overheat, but work fine if you let me cool, which is fine for me, plus I figured a cleaning might solve the issue.

We'll I got these puppies and they were pretty, and great picture for a day or two. Then they started acting up. They would do a thing I've seen referred to as "2 seconds to black" and quickly moved towards not even flicking a pic before black, just a little bit of light and then nothing. "2 Seconds to Black" refers to a monitor that shows a pic for a short time, then a black screen while leaving the power led lit. Apparently the cause is a bad backlight inverter. Problem is, I can't seem to find one. There also doesn't seem to be any of this monitor "for parts" anywhere. So is there a diy for inverter repair?

I recently took a risk and ordered a nice set of older monitors because they were at a good price. Description said they overheat, but work fine if you let me cool, which is fine for me, plus I figured a cleaning might solve the issue.

We'll I got these puppies and they were pretty, and great picture for a day or two. Then they started acting up. They would do a thing I've seen referred to as "2 seconds to black" and quickly moved towards not even flicking a pic before black, just a little bit of light and then nothing. "2 Seconds to Black" refers to a monitor that shows a pic for a short time, then a black screen while leaving the power led lit. Apparently the cause is a bad backlight inverter. Problem is, I can't seem to find one. There also doesn't seem to be any of this monitor "for parts" anywhere. So is there a diy for inverter repair?

Bad CCFL, bad CCFL connection, faulty inverter or bad solder joints.

Interior boards are so pretty I thought they were made yesterday, so they're either really good replacement to or pristine originals ( not ruling out the solder, just saying I think it's unlikely) and I'd have to buy a new ccfl to test (from the reading I've done) all the connections *look* snug (I'm not even close to sure though) so my money was on the inverter. Problem is finding one. Got any clues as to analogous monitors that would carry the same p/n?

Does any of the CCFL wiring look charred or brittle?

Nope. Everything is perfectly clean. But to be sure we are talking about the same part (I'm not terribly familiar with displays... Or anything really) do you know what these are gonna look like in this monitor? I've seen pics where the look like actual bulbs, but what I take to be the ccfl on this piece is about an1/2' long and 1/16' wide.... There are 8 of them and they're in the middle of strips of ribbon cable (8 separate strips about 1' or so wide) .... If this is the correct component.... Looks good. No black or brown on the bulb of the cable, moves freely. No visible breaks to the naked eye. I should also mention that this component I am speaking of begins at a pcb that stretches the entire length of the top of the panel and is connected to the display port board with another ribbon cable.

I replaced the capacitors on the power supply board in a 5 year old monitor exhibiting similar symptoms. That was 3 years ago and the monitor looks great today. I'm using it now. This isn't necessarily your issue , but do any of the capacitors show the top bulging out ?

Caps look alright. First thing the search results turned up was cops repair kits so I thought I'd have it fixed soon. It looked for leakey caps or ones that looked like puffed up soup cans. I've seen none of that though. I could pull out the multi meter to check them I guess, but my Meter-fu is weak, so I usually don't :) Tha KS for the thought though

That's my only experience in monitor repair :( . Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Plenty helpful, thank you :) honestly the price of these two displays was almost 2goodtobtrue so I'll eat my humble pie on this one if I have to. I'm just trying to salvage them if I can. Dell doesn't give any support for out of warranty items, so I gotta fend for myself a bit I guess. I just don't want to go back to smaller display now that I've seen 46' of dual monitor goodness!

LOL. I hear that. When you get it sorted out please post back and let us know. Adding to the knowledge base is what makes this such a great place to hang out and break stuff. :)

Back