• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor does not respond after bootup/sleep

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

watercup

I'm pretty new to the pc building scene and recently got into hitch after successfully building my new computer. Occasionally, after booting up and seeing the ASUS logo boot screen, Acronis Boot Manager boot screen and lastly the windows logo right when it's about to switch over to the login screen my monitor goes black and states "no connection." This also happens when coming out of sleep, when the computer turns back on but the monitor stays dark with no input device detected. If this is the wrong section, could anyone please move it. Thank you :D

Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $499.99)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (Purchased For $367.55)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory (Purchased For $257.98)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $229.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $44.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (Purchased For $579.99)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $109.99)
Other: Windows 10 ($0.00)

My monitor
Capture1.PNG

Graphics Card:
Capture.PNG

Well I'm pretty new as well but....

First is to check the settings: I don't know Win10 but there are settings that regulate your monitors behavior (when it goes to sleep, refresh rate etc) in all other versions of Windows so I think they must be in Win10 as well. Make sure your settings gs are correct (your problem is probably not with the settings but troubleshooting is a process of elimination). Perhaps your refresh rate is set too high for your particular monitor. Try setting it @ 59 or 60, and if it is already at those low settings, you can most likely rule out that issue. Next is to make sure your resolution is not higher than your monitor can support ( also not likely to be the problem, but nice to eliminate)

After that is drivers: I'm still not sure about Win10 or Nvidia but make sure you're using the latest stable driver.
After that comes hardware check : if you have a monitor that you are sure works then plug it in and see if the problem persists, or also if you have another computer that you know this issue is not present on try to hook the problematic monitor to it. This will tell you if the problem exists in the monitor or elsewhere in your hardware.

And that's about all the help I know to give :) if you can narrow the source of the issue down, I may be able to point you in the right direction though. Hope this helps

Edit: you actually might just skip the first couple steps and check the monitor first, but then again if the monitor is fine you'll have to go back to the other steps anywat

This is a known issue from intel and the PC not being able to come out of sleep. Disable sleep, and just have the monitor shut off in power savings and you should be set on that front.

Outside of that... I would try swapping drivers to the latest ones, or roll back if you have the newest already.

Is it possible that an overclock can cause this problem? I OC'ed my cpu at 4455 and 4375 and it seams to be more apparent; however, if I OC to 4000 it seems to work just fine. Is it possible that the computer boots/wakes up too fast for the monitor to truly wake up. What I believe is that the timeout on wake message is not long enough and my monitor misses it completely. It does sound very unlikely, but my monitor is pretty old so maybe it's time to invest into a new monitor that doesnt loses its resolution on bootup. For example, my monitor is 1680x1050 but on boot up it goes to something lower which is why it looks grainy. After a few minutes in bios options is prompts saying to change the resolution.

Last edited:
Is it possible that an overclock can cause this problem? I OC'ed my cpu at 4455 and 4375 and it seams to be more apparent; however, if I OC to 4000 it seems to work just fine. Is it possible that the computer boots/wakes up too fast for the monitor to truly wake up. What I believe is that the timeout on wake message is not long enough and my monitor misses it completely. It does sound very unlikely, but my monitor is pretty old so maybe it's time to invest into a new monitor that doesnt loses its resolution on bootup. For example, my monitor is 1680x1050 but on boot up it goes to something lower which is why it looks grainy. After a few minutes in bios options is prompts saying to change the resolution.

I don't believe OC will cause that effect, but I am not certain. If you have done all the trouble shooting I listed above (check drivers, monitor and pc) and still don't know which one is the issue.... Well when those steps don't work for me I got to go and get new stuff, or at least spend scads of time searching Google. Try the troubleshooting and post back with the results and perhaps there might be someone who can give you better help :)

Back