• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 - FX-9590 issue with freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neovirage

Hey everyone,

I recently bought an upgrade for my computer, but there's almost been trouble from day one with a real culmination yesterday, and I've since been trying to figure out a solution. I've never overclocked before, but I figured you are much more knowledgeable about this configuration than I am.
The gear I bought:

CPU: AMD FX-9590
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, Socket-AM3+
CPU fan: Cooler Master V8 GTS
PSU: Cooler Master G750M, 750W
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

At first I didn't have any real problems until about two days later. Suddenly sound stopped working (the green sound bars showed there was activity, but no sounds came out, so I bought a soundcard to fix that problem. Then I started playing GTA 5. After playing for about 30 minutes or so the computer just froze so I had to do a hard reset. The same thing happened every time I tried to play it, but the time between each "freeze" started getting smaller. Yesterday, when I was on Skype talking with a friend it froze again and about 10 minutes again after that. Initially I thought it had to do with the graphics card, so I exchanged it with my old one and the "freezing" stopped in Skype at least. Later on in the day I tried getting on GTA 5 again, and it worked well for about 10 minutes and then it froze again. After that the computer started freezing randomly, even at boot or on the windows desktop,
I looked around online for a solution and I noticed many people have been having trouble with freezing with this configuration. After finding one post on this forum about enabling D.O.C.P and the DRAM O.C Profile the computer hasn't frozen again from regular use which is fantastic, but it still froze in GTA 5 so that I had to do a hard reset again. Do you have any suggestion for me how I can make this work? Thank you!

HWMonitor.png

Thank you for your reply. So what do you think would be the best option for me to do? Getting a better cooler or getting a new CPU with lower MHz like FX-8350?

Thank you for your reply. So what do you think would be the best option for me to do? Getting a better cooler or getting a new CPU with lower MHz like FX-8350? < Probably the cheapest since the Little AiO coolers will just not do a REAL job with the FX-9590.

RGone...

I just ordered a FX-8350 so let's hope that will make it better. Thank you again.

I just ordered a FX-8350 so let's hope that will make it better. Thank you again.

CPU fan: Cooler Master V8 GTS < not real sure how that air cooler works but the FX-8350 is not trying to run even at stock up at 4.7GHz as the FX-9590 is trying to do. If you run the FX-8350 at stock it should do okay. Some have used Noctua D-14 air coolers to reach about 4.4/4.5GHz with FX-8320/8350 on the Sabertooth R2.0 if the case has very good air flow in and out.

RGone...

Yes, I believe so too. I am not planning on overclocking my computer anytime soon, so it should be okay. If it seems like the cooling isn't enough I will look into a new one. Deliveries are quite fast anyway :)

Yes, I believe so too. I am not planning on overclocking my computer anytime soon, so it should be okay. If it seems like the cooling isn't enough I will look into a new one. Deliveries are quite fast anyway :)

Good luck to you man and sorry there is just little else can be done for that factory overclocked FX-9590. We are seeing a rash of them lately.

RGone...

Yes there has been allot of the FX9XXX lately and all have had the same issues, which comes right back to cooling. That stock 1.52v needed for 4.7+ that and has set requires at least moderate cooling and that's at stock settings. You will like the fx8350 same chip just binned differently. With any luck you will find they run at decent VCORE with less heat. Good luck.....

This to me is a dumb move. Your sacrificing many mhz. Then you want to OC and try and make 4.7ghz stable with no real promise.

Should have found some cooling vs buying another hot FX cpu and try to overclock it. This is fine if your going for overclocking experience.

Yes, I believe so too. I am not planning on overclocking my computer anytime soon, so it should be okay. If it seems like the cooling isn't enough I will look into a new one. Deliveries are quite fast anyway

Yup, stick with the 9590 and find cooling for that. At load stock, it should usually be in the 1.45v range occasionally spiking up to 1.5250. It's a great chip, just a little warm out of the box. You'll have the same problems with any FX chip at 4.7ghz and beyond.

minimum cooling. Cooler Master Nepton 280L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103198 This cooler is 140.2. A little large rad than the H110 for example with only 120.2.

A custom water loop would be advisable. Having 2 or 3 rads makes a world of difference for any FX processor.

ShrimpBrime, Neovirage has already ordered the FX-8350. He has made no mention of overclocking at all. "I" said if he decided to do so then the FX-8350 might see 4.4/4.5GHz on air. Neovirage problem was what many have come here lately with and and the problem is not even stable when not overclocked.

Because he is not a died in he wool computer fanatic, he will probably fair better to get a cpu that will not have such a hard time with cooling at even stock speeds.

Now there probably was one other thing that he could have done and that is to clock the FX-9590 down to something like 4.2GHz and then be in the range of lower voltage P-States. However I have not seen many doing this so the results are not showing up anywhere.

But for people not so tuned into the overclocking scene as your ownself...often it is just better for them to get something less complicated in getting to work and go on with their computering. I know it would tick me off big time to have a stock speeded cpu that is supposed to run 4.7GHz but have to slow it down to make it sort of work. So human nature in mind and not overclocking, I suggested he get a lesser cpu. Wish "I" had had one of these crazy heat monsters with the inbuilt HI P-State voltages just to see what could be done in trying to slow it and still have TurboCore if possible.

I might ask Neovirage if he wants to sell his FX-9590 and see what can be done with one for less than 360rads. So many do not have a case that will even handle enough cooling capacity for cooling the Hi Heat FX-9590.

RGone...

Fully understood sir,

It seems people buy into big clocks because they want big clocks. In vein it is to buy big Cpu, upper grade motherboard, and skimp on cooling.

The sad thing about the FX-9590 is the limited truth and research by purchasers. I waited a long time for that 900$ price tag to come down to a reasonable situation, I expect to see plenty more grief about this monster processor.

All in all it's not "THAT" hot when left on auto, us as is conditions. My up time, no sleeping general use and some gaming in the past 1:01:03:55 up time has only seen 50c core temps max 49c Cpu with an average voltage of 1.4560v.

Not fully loaded with Prime95 for hours on end there's really no big worry on temps. It's when you Lode her up that gets most users in trouble. No need for proof at stock, I believe AMD it's stable at 4.7ghz.

I wish you had one too Rgone. But then again, your FX-8350 can do the exact same thing with a little overclocking. I use mine daily in a real world environment. Have the option of cheating, but honestly it's not all set up for it. Just use as is on most days and enjoy.

Yes but I would like to see what can be done at less than stock speeds and maybe then with all cores enabled. Or better still would be if you could set max Turbo core clock to say 23 and it still operate as AMD made it to run; it could need less cooling since it would stay away from the high Vcore P-States.

I just feel bad when the 9590 will not even function when left alone for some people. That is likely just plain ole heat.

RGone...

Back