• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to Send Secure Files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I know if one has something sensitive the best way to transfer data is to give that person the info in person. However, when that person is thousands of mile that is not an expedient solution.

If I wanted to send the information to one person, what's the best method electronic method, as in most secure?

I've heard Dropbox servers encrypt everything if the data is uploaded from your computer (not their DropBox app).

Are there are other methods that are better?

A direct torrent would be best, IMO.

I hadn't considered this. Would this potentially viable between my computer my friend's Mac. I believe that person has OS 10.x ?

Encrypt the file prior to sending it through the tubes.
https://www.gnupg.org/download/

Thanks, I had forgotten about this one!

scp command

What is this specifically? A quick google search seems this perhaps a Linux utility/feature? Though a quick second glance seems to be a utility used on Windows as well. Is it an exe that encodes files, and if so, how does one send the files?

What is this specifically? A quick google search seems this perhaps a Linux utility/feature? Though a quick second glance seems to be a utility used on Windows as well. Is it an exe that encodes files, and if so, how does one send the files?
scp is a native command on linux, but there are also windows variants (pscp). It's super easy but requires that the server on the other end has an SSH server running, which is probably more involved than you want.

I'd encrypt your file and stick it on Google Drive/Dropbox and be done with it.

In windows? Hfs file server. Pretty simple, requires no install, just a folder. And security is as simple as defining users w/passwords and then giving permissions.
The insecure part would be how you communicate to him his login, I'd suggest redphone on droid. Encrypting actual files/folders before transmission can be done with any decent archiver. I prefer freearc in windows.

Back